Saturday, November 28, 2009

THINGS WE GET USE TO

         carleneSEPT. 19, 2007 001

You know it is funny what we get use to…what we take for granted sometimes.

Yesterday would have been my 38th anniversary had Danny not died from a massive heart attack in 2006.  This morning, I was remembering back to that day of many years ago, because today is Saturday and it was actually on a Saturday that we made that long journey to Aiken, S.C.

I was thinking about how long it took us to get there and how I had to sit on Danny’s lap all the way causing my neck to ache for two days afterwards!  Then it dawned on me that the reason my brother-in-law had to take us in his car was because we didn’t have one of our own.

Today people would be aghast wouldn’t they? More so than they may have been back in 1971. That two people, who are only 17 and 18 years old with not but one tiny paycheck to their name and NO CAR was actually thinking about getting married!

Our parents told us that we had to have a house and furniture before we could get married…Well, we had the house…A little three room “shot-gun house”  that we rented from the Cotton Mill where Danny worked at the time. They called it a “shot-gun” house because of the way it was made…three little rooms that went straight through. First the living room, then the bedroom, then the kitchen and as an afterthought ; a bathroom that was built onto the back of the kitchen!  We were lucky that the door to ours was on the inside…some folks had to go out on the back porch to access theirs!

For months we had scrimped and saved enough to buy a used iron bed and a new re-stuffed mattress…a table and four chairs…a stove…and a refrigerator. My mama let us borrow her little twin bed ( also iron) and we used that as a couch in the living room. We had a wringer washing machine and a clothes line to do our clothes. Danny’s BIG MAMA made us sheets for our bed  from cotton sheeting she got from the mill for a wedding present!

We thought we were rich.

It scares me now when looking back…. I realize how poor we actually were . We didn’t have much at all…and we were mere babies.

But you know what?  I wish I still had that old fifties’ style chrome table and chairs, it was so pretty…Same goes for the iron beds and oh, my goodness, what I would give for a stove like I had then …It had two ovens…one big and one small…it had push buttons on the back top of it and three cooking ‘eyes’ and a ‘deep well’ to fry or boil in !  That little bitty refrigerator???  Well, I can not in all honesty say that I would trade in the one I have now for it, because I remember too well the little bitty freezer in the one we started out with! There was only enough room for two ice trays in it! (Plus I hated defrosting that thing!) How did we ever make it without room for frozen meat or vegetables???  We hardly ever could afford much meat and the  main vegetables we had were cabbage, potatoes and dry beans.

Yep…it’s funny what we take for granted sometimes.

Would I go back to those days?

You bet…

In a heart beat….

Because what we had back then…

Was worth more than all the gold in Fort Knox.

GOD BLESS YOU ALL.

17 comments:

ADB said...

Money can't buy you happiness, neither do material possessions constitute happiness. Looking back to the 70s, when I was little, I marvel at the things we did not have (no TV in the house where I grew up) yet were very happy.

Have a good weekend, Carlene

Paula said...

Oh what memories!

Myra said...

What nice memories! Material things come and go, it is what remains in your heart that gets you through. Take care...

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

What a wonderful entry you've made today. It's so true Money cannot buy happiness! I have wonderful memories of that time too. It's amazing to think that when I got married the job I worked at was paying 1.25 an hour and I was making 25 cents more an hour than my husband at that time. We had wonderful times and never thought about what we didn't have either. Hugs to you! Today is the 17th anniversary of my DDH's death. He's as close as ever as he's there in my heart to stay.
'On Ya'-ma

madcobug said...

Great memories you have Carlene. Happiness means everything. Lovya, Helen

Jeannette said...

You are so right. When we first married, we have a second-hand bed, all second-hand furniture, no carpets on the floor, an old twin tub washing machine. Everything was hand me down. I remember how excited we were when we actually were able to buy our own sofa and chairs. Plus I got pregnant straight away. But we were happy. Thanks for the memories.

Nelishia said...

Those memories are very,very precious indeed. I'm so glad you shared those times.

We had a mattress on the floor and a tv when I first got married. We look around now and say, WOW! How much more we have, not in mere possessions but in our relationship. My how we have grown.

Barbara said...

It seems to me that couples created a bond starting out that way that cannot be understood or duplicated in couples who start out with everything.

Donna said...

Great post. It reminds me of my mother's story that I put on my blog recently, only you WERE rich compared to my parents when they married in 1932, because they didn't have a house or furniture at first!

Sayit-baldys said...

THANKS FOR THE ENTRY CARLENE. YOU HAVE GONE THROUGH TUFF TIMES.
SO MANY OF US CAN RELATE TO THE TUFF TIMES.
I AM CONCERNED ABOUT CONDITIONS OF THIS PRESENT DAY HERE IN OUR GOOD OLD U.S.A. NOT MEANING TO BE A WET BLANKET, THOUGH WE HAVE LAWMAKERS IN LEADERSHIP OF THIS COUNTRY THAT IN MY OPINION ARE NOT THINKING VERY WISELY.
WITH THE TREMENDOUS NATIONAL DEBT, PROPOSING MORE BORROWING AND PRINTING MONEY, AND NOT SEEMING TO CONSIDER GIVING SMALL BUSINESS PEOPLE THE THINGS NEEDED TO MAKE IT POSSIBLE TO HIRE WORKERS.
PRESIDENT OBAMA IS ADDING TO THE PROBLEM BY ADDING MORE AND MORE GOVERNMENT EMPLOYEES AND THE VILLAGE IDIOT WOULD KNOW THAT LESS GOVERNMENT WORKERS IS WHAT IS NEEDED.
APPARENTLY OUR PRESIDENT IS DETERMINED TO INCREASE THE AMOUNT OF PEOPLE THAT DEPEND ON GOVERNMENT FOR LIVELIHOOD.
THE 'PIE IN THE SKY' DISPLAY PAINTED BY MR. OBAMA WHILE A CANDIDATE A YEAR AGO LOOKED SO GOOD AND THE SPEECHES SO CLEVERLY GIVEN, A WONDERFUL SPEAKER AND NOW HE AND THE LISTENERS THAT JUST COULD'NT WAIT UNTIL HE BECAME PRESIDENT ARE BEGINNING TO WONDER IF THAT PIE IN THE SKY WAS AN OPTICAL ILLUSION OF SOME SORT.
WILL THIS AMERICA SURVIVE AS WE HAVE KNOWN IT IF THIS PRESENT LEADWESHIP HAS IT'S WAY ? sam

CINDY said...

Thank you for sharing your beautiful memories with us. I enjoy reading them.
((((hugs))))

Arlene (AJ) said...

Carlene you've been blessed to have such wonderful memories of you and Danny to hold in your heart. You're in my special thoughts dear.

A Middle Aged Mom said...

Beautiful memories that you'll always have.

Pamela said...

Thanks for sharing. I really enjoyed reading this entry.
Pam

Jen said...

You are such a beautiful person. I am glad our paths have crossed. Love you Carlene!!!

Jen

Lisa said...

Hi Carlene... so nice to stop by your blog. I just loved reading this entry. You gave me strength by sharing your story. We are all so blessed these days and we take it for granted really. I have been on a computer hiatus of sorts but maybe life will settle down soon and I can get back to blogging. Hope you had a lovely Thanksgiving and that your family is all doing well.
Lisa in Kentucky

Lisa said...

Awww, what a touching entry and it made me stop and think about the simpler days in my life too. I would go back in a heartbeet as well. I think your shotgun house sound wonderful and filled with love & hope for the future...it doesn't get better than that.
xxxx
Lisa