Sunday, April 19, 2015

WHAT IS A HERO?

What do you consider a hero?

Who is your hero?

Webster’s describes a hero as this:
‘A mythological or legendary figure often of divine descent endowed with great strength or ability, an illustrious warrior and/or a man admired for his achievements and noble qualities.’

I’ve been mulling this over in my mind for a few days now and although I may not be as smart as Webster’s, I believe I do know what a hero is….

A hero is the guy driving a log truck for a living and when he tops the hill, there right in front of him are five cars stopped in the roadway. In the last car, there is a man who looks up in his rear view mirror just in time to see a log truck barreling towards him. Now, I don’t know if Michael Deraney saw this man look in his rear view mirror or not, but I do know that Michael chose to run off the road instead of plowing into all those cars with innocent people in them. Michael died being a hero. On a side note, the guy who looked up in his rear view mirror? He jumped out and ran to Michael’s truck trying to help, only to find him unresponsive, as Michael died instantly. This person told the deputy that Michael saved his life and many others and he wasn't leaving the site till it was all over. He too is a hero.

A hero is my daddy, who was one of the most kind and loving fathers there was, worked two and three jobs all his life with two hernias the size of grapefruits hanging from his sides, and feet that had corns, and callouses. Yet he WORKED to support us. We weren’t rich by no means..church mice were better off than us… but my daddy worked and he didn’t take a dime from the government.

Webster’s refers to a hero as a man. Let me tell you, I have known PLENTY of female heroes in my lifetime. The main one being my mama.

God bless her heart, she never worked an outside job, but spent 15 hours a day working at home to raise us kids. The woman got up before sunrise and went to bed way after midnight. Many a time I would wake up in the middle of the night to find her outside hanging up the clothes she had washed in the wringer washer, so she could get an early start on the next day. She chopped wood, slopped pigs, fed chickens, gathered the eggs, tended the garden, drew water from the well ( until it went dry) and then came inside to clean house, and make sure her six children were all fed and clothed. She did all this with two legs that were in such bad shape, that I don’t see how she even walked.

And finally; to me, a hero is a man who will stand up to corruption, backroom dealings, and plain out crookedness, while everyone else seem to  rear back on their thumbs and say, “what’s the use?”  A hero is one who will stand alone, if need be, to make sure there is fairness and equality for all. He is the one who forks over his own money in order to hire one single lawyer to fight against the morally unacceptable ways of those who can hire a fleet of attorneys… on the tax payers dime. A hero is the man who not only ‘talks the talk’, but also ‘walks the walk.’ Thank you Dee Lindsey for being our hero.

Yep, I think I pretty much got what a true hero is and I thank You Lord; for all the heroes that You placed in my life.


GOD BLESS YOU ALL.

3 comments:

Barbara In Caneyhead said...

I had not heard Michael's story, nor do I know who Dee Lindsey is. But I agree with you completely on what it truly means to be a hero. God bless all the heroes and the difference they make!

Dee Lindsey said...

God Bless You, Carlene!

Wanda Wilkes said...

Carlene ,we need this! This is that time I believe. No we don't know the time but he's giving us warnings to tell everyone to get ready.