Sunday, September 14, 2014

How I learned about God.

          GOD

My mama taught me about God.

Oh, I went to church and learned my Bible lessons. Mama use to play the piano there every once in a while. Sometimes my daddy came, sometimes he would go fishing. I also went to Sunday School. Then came Bible School with my little friends during every summer. Oh we had so much fun during those times. (I thank God my grandchildren’s other Gamma takes them to Bible School at her church every summer, so they too can hear about God.)

What I am talking about is how grateful I am that my mama used to talk to me about God and the Bible. She taught me this little blessing; “God is great, God is Good, let us thank him for our food, by HIS hands we all are fed, thank YOU Lord for our daily bread.” She taught me this one when I could barely reach the table.

When I was a little older, I remember asking mama how I should pray at night…what should I say? She had of course already taught me the “Now I lay me down to sleep, I pray the Lord my soul to keep, If I should die before I wake, I pray the Lord my soul to take” prayer, but most importantly she also taught me to always ask God to bless others…even those who were mean to me.

She told me to talk to God like a good friend and to do it often. She told me that you didn't have to wait until night to talk to God and she was so right. The older I get, I find myself talking to him more and more. Sometimes I wonder if HE gets tired of me. The trouble is that I keep finding people to pray for…not to mention our state, our county, our country, etc. There is just so much that needs fixing and I believe some of it has come to a point so that only HE can fix it!

So I go to HIM.

Look, I am in NO WAY a saint. In fact I am a huge sinner. My mama, who I often put on a pedestal, God rest her soul, was not a saint. We all have our faults and our downfalls. We are, after all human, with human frailties and problems. There is none perfect except ONE and they nailed HIM to a cross on Calvary.

Back in my younger days, I drank way too much alcohol and partied hardy every weekend for years. I also did some mean and hurtful things. Things that shame me now when I dare to think of them. I was so stupid back in the days when I thought I knew it all.

The morning Preacher Robinson Baptized me at West End Baptist Church, I fully believe that God forgave me my sins, even though I have had a hard time forgiving myself of them.

That doesn't mean that I do not sin anymore either, I still tell a white lie to keep from hurting someone's feelings…I still curse when I get really angry (but not nearly as much as I use to, Lord forbid) and I have very little patience at all, among many other bad things.

But I do KNOW God and I do have HIM in my heart.

I also know GOD loves me .

Jesus loves me this I know,
For the Bible tells me so,
Little ones to Him belong,
They are weak but he is strong….

I can thank my mama for teaching me that too. I only wish I had been like my mama and did a better job at teaching my own children about Him.

Funny how my prayer petitions to God have changed throughout the years:
Back when I was in high school I use to pray;
“God please don’t let me die until I get to be 18”…(
which meant that I could drink and do as I want…God help me.)

Then later it was;
“God please don’t let me die until I marry .” (So I wouldn’t be an old maid! ha-ha!)

Then after I had my children:
“God please don’t let me die until my children are grown.” (Yep, I finally got a little sense, thank You Jesus.)

Here lately it has been;
“God please don’t let me die until my grandchildren are grown” (which means: Mawmaw needs to be around to save them, by making sure they don’t go hungry! A little family joke there.)

Well today I  realized that this is most important thing I should be asking God for; 

“God, please don’t let me die until I make sure that my children and my grandchildren know YOU, have a close relationship with YOU and have YOU in their hearts.”

To God be the Glory. In Jesus Holy Name. AMEN.

GOD BLESS YOU ALL.

1 comment:

Lynne said...

So true, and by the way...but for grace, and we're all imperfect because if we were perfect then that would mean this is heaven, and I know this aint heaven! :-) God Bless