Tuesday, February 11, 2014

GOD WILL FIND YOU

I didn’t sleep very well Saturday night, but then again I haven’t slept well in days. So when I got out of bed Sunday morning, I had already made my mind up that I wasn’t going to Church. It had been a while since I been in Church anyway, so one more Sunday wasn’t going to hurt me I figured. Besides, I needed to write out the checks for my bills or they were going to be late. What with my mama passing away this past Tuesday and then the funeral Thursday, I had not had a chance to do it yet.

As I sat down at my desk and began to get the bills in order and get my checkbook out, Dan popped his head in my bedroom door. First thing out of his mouth was, “mama I want to go to Church this morning, Okay?” Now, I was already shocked that he was up that early anyway. Dan is a night owl. He always has been, even when he was a little tyke. Funny thing is, I never had any trouble trying to wake him up to go to school. He was always ‘sitting on ready waiting on go’, no matter how late he had lain awake the night before.

Adding to my surprise yesterday was the fact that he also wanted to go to Church. So I knew I might as well put the bills up, because I was going to Church. When Dan wants to go to Church, I go! Sometimes Dan wants to go to the little Church in Union Point because he knows some of the folks down there. He went to school with some of them. The Church also lets those who want to, sing using karaoke and he loves listening to them sing.

Since my mama died this past Tuesday, I have been very emotional to say the least, so I told Dan we would go to Church, but we would go to our Church down the street. I figured that way we would sing the songs out of the hymnals and there would be less chance of any songs that would pull on my heart strings. So I put up all the bills and got a shower. I put my ‘Sunday go to meetin’ clothes on and we went down the street to our Church.

As I walked in, I noticed a man with a young man and lady I had not ever seen before sitting in the last pew. I nodded a greeting toward them and walked on to the front where I saw my niece sitting. She told me she and her step daughter was going to be singing some songs. It was then that I learned that there would be no normal Church service, but instead, they were having a singing and then afterwards, soup and sandwiches down in the eating area.

I was a little worried..I mean I had purposely brought Dan to our Church to save us both from more heartache and we had walked right in to a singing!  See this is what you get when you stay away from Church. You don’t know a thing about what is going on or when.

Well, the first song that Charity and Lexi sang was an upbeat song that Reba McIntire sings called: "Sky Full Of Angels"

“ Preacher man talking about the end of time
Well, Lord knows I'm ready, it don't worry my mind
You see, I ain't afraid of nothing because I believe
I've got a sky full of angels watching over me”

They did very good and even had me tapping my feet and clapping right along with them as they sang.The young couple who were with the man in the back pew were his daughter and son. The son played the piano as the daughter sang. We found out that the man was an evangelist preacher who held old time revivals. Our preacher said he was trying to get him to hold one in Greensboro.

Next up was our preacher and he sings so good…I can not remember the name of the song he sang, but it was beautiful. It was about picking up the phone to call someone, before remembering they had passed on..Well, let me tell you, that song had me crying, not out loud, but tears were breaking loose and sneaking down my cheeks.

A few more songs and soon the singing was over, and I had made it through. At the end, our preacher, who was sitting in the front pew,  stood up and asked the man in the back pew to go ahead and say the blessing on the food before we all went downstairs to eat. Well, the man in the back pew started saying the blessing and then he sort of paused for a while before he said,

“I got to say this…there is someone here who has lost a loved one recently.”

My breath caught in my throat.

He went on to say, “ this loved one was very closely related and has just recently passed.” By this time, eyes still closed and head still bowed, I was literally shaking as Charity grabbed my hand and was squeezing the heck out of it. He then said, “your loved one wants you to know that just like the gospel song goes, that they are sitting at Jesus Feet right now… today.

Cold chills began racing up my arms.

When the blessing was over, my niece Charity and I began making our way down the isle to go outside and around to the basement door. There were a good many folks in front of us, so it was a slow go. The man from the back pew was in the isle and as I went to pass on by him, he caught hold of my hand and looked me straight in the face and said, “Ms. Robertson, you are the one who lost a loved one aren’t you?” I was so shocked that I didn’t even think to tell him I wasn’t Ms. Robertson, but instead told him yes, that my mama had passed Tuesday. He said that he had felt it so strongly during the blessing and….

There in that Church isle,  he told me again that my mama was in Heaven.

Coincidence???

All I know is…


1. He called me Ms. Robertson.  N
ow sure, maybe he did think I was the preacher’s wife, who is named Mrs. Robinson… but my mama was born Margaret Robertson and Robertson is what he called me.

2. I had not been to Church in weeks and No ONE knew I was coming. So no one could have told that man anything about my mama passing away and him know who I was or know that I would even be there. That man didn’t know me from Adam’s housecat.

3. Ever since my mama died Tuesday, when I would lie down in my bed at night, I would pray, “ God, please take her on into Heaven.”

So I choose not to think of this as a coincidence. I choose to think that this was God’s way of getting a message to me and you know something? You can’t run from God. He will find you.

He found me Sunday.

He knew before I knew, that I was going to be at that church and He sent that evangelist there to get a message across to me.

I know two things for certain.

If that evangelist ever does have a revival here, I will definitely be there!

Most importantly…

My mama is in Heaven.

GOD BLESS YOU ALL.

3 comments:

MARLENE BUCK said...

Oh Carlene...i agree..we can run but we can't hide from God. Sooner or later he will get his message across to us. So happy you got your message from God that you so needed. God wanted you to have peace in your heart & soul and he did it. I know how hard it is loosng a mother..you know how i have stopped at your house & cried like a baby & told you how much i missed her. No one knows these shoes unless they are walking in them. They are hard shoes to walk in and you know that now, Prayers for you my sweet friend. Love you lots & thank you for sharing & reaching out to others through your readings. You help so many & don't even know it. Love you, M :)

Helen said...

This post made me cry. May God bless and continue to be with you and your family. So glad that God got his message delivered to you.

Donna said...

I have had things like this happen SO many times.