Monday, November 11, 2013

SUNDAY WITH MY MAMA

       11102013mama3
I went to see my Mama today after I left church. I caught her while she was eating her lunch and I was so happy I could watch as she ate all of it!  I wheeled her to her room after she had finished and turned the TV on for her to see. She seemed to really enjoy watching The Brady Bunch. The little kids on the show were all singing and The good Lord knows my Mama loves children and singing, so that was right up her alley.  
Later on, I gave her the rag doll that was sitting on the top of the cabinet there in her room. I had the biggest lump in my throat watching her holding and humming to it. Like a little child, she was having the best time cuddling that doll! Since she was humming, I tried singing some of the old Gospel hymns that she use to play on the piano at Church. I was hoping it would bring her back to me for just a little while, like it did during the last visit… but she didn’t sing with me today. She just kept humming  and mumbling to the baby doll. That’s okay though.
She was happy and that is all that matters to me.
        11102013mama15
Mama had a runny nose today and I was constantly wiping it for her. ( I told the nurse and she was to give her something for it when I left.) As I gently wiped her nose, it got me to thinking of how many times she did the same thing for me and my siblings. She seemed to always have a hankie handy when she needed one. There were six of us, so she probably spent a good deal of her time wiping little snotty noses!
Let me tell you, if you are fortunate enough to still have your mama and she can look at you and know that you are hers…Do your best to make her happy now, because once upon a time, that mama did all she could to make you happy. She probably sacrificed, did without, cooked your meals, stayed up at night with you, held you, rocked you, and the main thing;  she still loved you, even when you weren’t very lovable.
Sort of like how God loves all of us, you know??
Back when we were all still little… back on that old dirt road we called Horseshoe Bend… my Mama did without plenty and worked so very hard just trying to raise all of us. A lot of folks say that they wouldn’t change a thing about their lives. I know I would and I would do it in a heartbeat. 
I would go back in time and somehow make her life a lot easier than it was… or die trying.
I would start out by being  a better daughter.

GOD BLESS YOU ALL.

6 comments:

Marlene Buck said...

oh Carlene..you are so right! Moms are a lot like God..They love us more than themselves. I know your heart hurts seeing your mom like this...but I pray that one day she will know you and you will have the conversation of your life time. Love you sweet Carlene, M

Lynne said...

She has a beautiful presence Carla, and I am glad you got the opportunity for a Sunday visit. God bless! :-)

Helen said...

God bless your mama and God bless you.

Suzi Que said...

This is definitely a beautiful tribute to a beautiful lady!!!

Donna said...

Excellent post, Carlene.

Kath said...

Lovely words once again Carlene.I am sure your Mama knows who you are, but is unable to tell you so,or show you.You have proved your worth,your a wonderful Daughter Carlene.Lets keep our Faith and keep on praying and hope another time you visit your Dear Mama,she will sing along with you once again.Take Care God Bless Kath xx