Sunday, April 7, 2013

Cravings

                   0406131626a

                                        My cherry tree 2013

Have you ever craved a food? Wanted it so bad that it seems that you can taste it and even smell it?

I got up this morning craving something I haven't had in a long, long time.

Miss Daisy's rolls.

Now  there are a few requirements before you can know what I am talking about here...

a. You would have to be a child from the sixties...as in 1960's.

b. Or you would have to have a mama, daddy, aunt or uncle, etc.  from the 60's.

c. And one of the above would have to have gone to school (or worked) at the school in Greene County, Georgia in the 1960's and eaten in the lunch room.

When I think about those rolls, I can smell them and even see Miss Daisy dipping that old brush in melted butter and slathering it in  the middle of that hot steaming roll before placing it on my lunch tray.

I know now that Miss Daisy's rolls were the best rolls I have ever eaten in my life. Unfortunately, I didn't realize this way back then. Like most innocent children, I figured things in my little world would never change...

That there would always be Miss Daisy rolls in my life.

Miss daisy is long gone to her Heavenly home and as far as I know, there is no way to get the recipe for her wonderful rolls, nor her delicious homemade soup that was always served with your choice of a pineapple or peanut butter and jelly sandwich.

I guess I will have to make do with just the memories.

Sadly, things do change and we lose some of those delicious foods (and also a lot of important stuff) that we take for granted.

GOD BLESS YOU ALL.

3 comments:

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

It's a shame that good recipes like the one for those rolls are never passed on to anyone. I get cravings and try to make things...sometimes they turn out and sometimes not. Now I'm hungry so will have to satisfy my craving.

Kath said...

I used to love my Mothers Parkin Carlene,but her recepe somehow went astray from my cooking folde,on one of my moves.Grr.Ive tried others,but they are just not the same.I know the feeling of "OH!I could just eat some ? Mmm and like you say,you can even smell it cooking.Have a lovely day Dear Friend.Take Care God Bless Kath xx

Barbara In Caneyhead said...

And important people! Thrilled to see you still blogging Carlene! How can I follow you?