Sunday, July 29, 2012

STARLIGHT, STAR BRIGHT…

lindsey children

Starlight

Star bright…

first star

I see tonight…

wish I may

wish I might

have this wish

I wish tonight.

How many of us, back in the days of our childhood…back in those golden days of care free innocence…have said this simple little rhyme while gazing up at those twinkling bright diamonds that our Lord displays for us at night?

I did.

In the darkness of the summer nights, while watching the lightning bugs flittering here and there with their little yellow tail lights blinking on and off, on and off , listening to all the frogs and crickets calling for rain…me and my sister Sue would be sitting on the steps of our front porch. Back there on Horseshoe Bend, way out there in the Georgia pines, two little country girls would be wishing their little hearts out on that ‘first star’ they happened to see.

I sort of figured sister Sue was probably wishing to marry Ringo Starr, the drummer for the Beatles. She had such a huge crush on him back then.  I loved Paul, but I saved him for my dreams at night…I wasn’t wasting any of my wishes on something that I knew would never happen in a million years!

Sue never did tell me what she was wishing for and I didn’t blame her back then. Everybody knew that if you told your wish, that it wouldn’t come true! My wish never varied. When I saw that first little twinkling star, I would wish each and every time with all my might and holding my breath that…

I lived in a house with indoor plumbing and paint on the walls!

I SWEAR I DID! 

So I didn’t tell sister Sue my wish either. She would have laughed her tail off at me if I had. I laugh about it now too when I happen to think about it, but I do know this much…

Wishing on a star must work sometimes, because I got my wish.

It may have came years later, but by gosh that little girl on Horseshoe Bend got her wish.

The grown up me just wishes that I had been a little more specific and used a whole lot more imagination!

Hmmmm…

You know…

I think I am going to go sit out on my front porch for a little bit and look at the stars.

GOD BLESS YOU ALL.

4 comments:

Paula said...

Yes Carlene there was a bunch of us back then that wished for that indoor plumbing. You know girl I think not having all those nice things made us appreciate what we have to day. Hope you are doing well and your sweet little Mama too.

Nova said...

Carlene i wish wishing on stars worked to bring our loved ones back.

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

Don't they always say be careful what you wish for... I had to chuckle when you said you wished you'd been m0re specific. The stars are beautiful here on a clear night and I love sitting out and looking at them. I don't do much wishing anymore at all.

Helen said...

I used to do the star wishing thing. I don't remember any wish ever coming true.