Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Looking Back

Today, a young man came and installed some boxes on my TV’s. My cable service switched over to a different service and in order to keep getting my channels, I had to have these boxes…which of course means extra money tacked onto the bill.

It also means me trying to figure the dang 100 button remote out and then me teaching Dan how to use them….

Lord have mercy on me.

Looking back to my childhood out on Horseshoe Bend, I wonder why in the world I was in such a hurry to leave that place? Oh, to be able to go back and know then what I know now. I would hide under the bed and never leave.

I swear to you that I would be like Peter Pan and live out my life as a child.

For a long time, back then, we had no TV and when we finally did get one, it was all because my mama wrote an essay to enter a contest as to ‘why Frank, my brother, would love to have a dang dog’!

Mama was always writing and entering all kinds of contests..I may be partial, but my mama could write! Once she wrote an essay honoring my Aunt Em, and I forget now what Aunt Em won, but my mama got a cook book out of it! My Aunt Em was a wonderfully sweet lady and I am 100% sure it wasn’t very hard to  write an essay honoring her.

On this particular contest that mama won though, Frank was invited to be on TV to get his prize! I mean, can you imagine??  We are talking late 50’s, when TV was something fairly new and to be able to actually be on a TV show??? I don’t remember who actually took  Frank to Atlanta to be on  (what I believe was) WSB TV. I’ll have to ask my brother one day. I do know that Mama and Daddy were bound and determined to be able to see their first born get his prize on TV.

That TV we got showed 2 channels I think…and to get the picture, someone was constantly having to go outside and turn the antenna this way and that until it cleared up. I can remember my brothers having to stand out there in the yard and be ready to turn that antenna when wrestling was on! My daddy and Mr. Roger Boswell and a few other men of the community would have the best times watching that show, yelling and going on like little boys.

I can remember Mama always watched ‘As The world Turns’ and ‘Queen For A Day’ and I always secretly dreamed that one day SHE would be the Queen For A Day. She never was of course, but she will always be a Queen in my heart.

On Saturdays, we kids would get to watch Sky King, Roy Rogers with Dale Evans, The Lone Ranger, Tarzan, and various cartoons, if we were quiet and had done all our chores.

Other days we were always outside playing in the yard until the sun went down. You know, thinking back, we didn’t have very many toys at all…but that didn’t stop us from having fun. We played games such as leap frog, hide and seek, Red rover, and hop scotch…among all the other ones we would make up.

We actually used something back in those days that is in short supply these days…

i-m-a-g-i-n-a-t-i-o-n.

Yep, if I could only go back to those good old days.

People worked hard, but at least they worked. There were no government hand outs back then, and most folks would have been too proud to take it, even if it had been. 

Though it was a hard way of life, in general, it was a lot less stressful.

And the dang TV service was FREE!

GOD BLESS YOU ALL.

 

 

 

7 comments:

Donna said...

We had it good back then, didn't we Carlene? I actually feel sorry for kids today.

Paula said...

Carlene this is a wonderful entry. Yes TV service was free and so was a lot of things. Life wasn't so complicated and most people were honest.

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

Things have changed a lot for sure. I hated to pay for TV service and put it off as long as I could. I still only have the basic service and that costs enough. Times were simpler then and I miss those quieter days. But we must change with the times... Hope you have a wonderful Thursday!

Kath said...

We don't have the same TV programs as you Carlene obviously,but I can relate to everything you have said here in my life too.Even though I do remember watching The Lone Rangers and others you mention at the Saturday Morning picture house show.My favourite one being THE LITTLE RASCALS Haaaa.We got a penny to spend and I remember always buying a penny hovis loaf with mine.I loved bread and still do to this day worst luck,put pounds on my body LOL!!I just wrote a Rhyme on The whip and Top we used to play,to post in my blog but it will not let me post it grrr.It's wanting me to change to the new format,and like you with your new remote.I just havn't got the time to be learning all these new things.So my rhyme never got posted.I too would love to go back to The Good Old Days and stay there.Good luck with your new remote Carlene Grrr it's so annoying having tolearn all these new things.I havn't a clue Haaaaaaaa.Night Night and God Bless,it's 9-38pm here and it's been a long day and I have to go do my rounds in FB yet. Love you Mills Kath.xx

Helen said...

I would imagine life back then was stressful for our parents who had to feed and clothe us kids. Especially yours as there were several of your family. Only two of us kids. But time was hard back then. My first TV was after I got married.

Barbara In Caneyhead said...

You make it all sound magical, Carlene! I'm back at Life & Faith in Caneyhead. - Barbara

Adirondackcountrygal said...

Those sure were the good old days!