Wednesday, April 11, 2012

A Conversation With My Mama

 

            10218_1156311267880_1230684864_30566417_2525423_n

I went to see my Mama today. Since it was late afternoon, I called ahead to make sure she wasn’t eating supper. If she is eating, she will first try to get you to eat and then if you don’t, she will stop eating herself. She has always done this. I think it is a throw back to the days on Horseshoe Bend, when sometimes we didn’t have much to eat and she would not eat until all of her children had.

When I called, they said to give it thirty more minutes and then come. In thirty minutes I was there. She was already in bed when I walked into her room, but thankfully, she wasn’t asleep.

After I hugged and kissed her, I pulled her wheel chair up to her bed and had a seat…preparing myself for the “Who are you honey…do I know you?” questions.

Instead I got a nice surprise…

My Mama knew me!

She said, “Carlene, you are my baby. We needed you. You had the prettiest wavy hair. You are the prettiest one out of all of them!” I had to laugh at that last sentence….

You see…

She use to tell ALL SIX of us that! She would tell us separately, without the others present. It would be many, many years to pass, before we were to find this out! We were all sitting on Mama’s front porch one day, and for some reason, one of us popped up and said, “Well, Mama always said I was the prettiest!” Well, it didn’t take long for the other five to let it be known loud and clear that she had told each one of them the very same thing!  We all laughed hysterically!

Our dear sweet mama had, for all those years, had each of us thinking that “we” were the prettiest!

She went on to ask, “Have you had any sleep?  You are going to need your sleep, because you never know….and I don’t want it to scare you when it happens. Don’t let it scare you.”

I did not ask what she meant when she said this…I didn’t want to know.

“Did you have supper? Do you get enough to eat?” Now, only a mama would ask that of a noticeably overweight lady!

“Did they ever find Walt’s ( my long deceased daddy) car? Now I swear that I don’t know what happened to it, I just seen that it was gone!  I couldn’t help but laugh out loud when she said this…mama could be sneaky in her old days, especially if she was mad at my daddy!

When I got ready to leave, I told her that I loved her…and she looked me right in the eye and said,“ I love you more, because I had you” 

After more hugs and kisses, I left her there in her bed, with her asking, “Are you coming back tonight???”

Walking blindly down the Nursing Home hallway, I thought about how my son Dan was sooooo right….

I cry when she doesn’t know me, and I cry when she does.

GOD BLESS YOU ALL

8 comments:

Suzi Que said...

Oh, bless her heart! She must've tried soooo hard to come back to you Carlene! I am so glad that you decided to visit her tonight! I love you both!!

Kathy said...

Love. It's love Carlene.

Nova said...

What a sweet blessing u were given. No what did she do with ue daddys car lol

Kath said...

Aww Carlene wouldn't it be just heaven if Mama knew you everytime you went to see her.I am sure she knows it's you everytime but cannot always express things as she did on this visit.I love that picture of your Mama and Danny,it's beautiful.You can feel the love in it.I laughed along with you at what Mama used to tell you all.He-Heeeee.I do hope all your future visits will be as good as this one was.I hope you all had a great Easter too.Sorry I have been away from th ecomputer quite a lot,but lots to contend with just now around the home and other things going on.Just doing my best today for half an hour at catch up...... Hugs to Mama,cuddles to the boys and Love you Mills.Take Care God Bless Kath xxx

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

How sweet and precious your time with your dear mom must be to you. It's wonderful that you have these moments with her.

Helen said...

I am so glad that she knew you. That is one of God's blessings. May he continue to bless her and you. Helen

Kandy said...

Carlene, my other mother I smiled the whole time reading this. I know how much you love your Mom

kandy

ADB said...

I am pleased that your mom knew you, Carlene. Hope she remains comfortable.