Monday, February 27, 2012

LITTLE GIRL LOST

      

                     012512150438

It’s funny, but when I walked into Wal-Mart today to get my medicines today, the first thing that caught my eye was the CODE ADAM sign posted on the front door. This means, among other things, that if a child is lost, an alert goes out and each associate works hard to try and make sure that child is found.

You know, looking back, I think God was trying to tell me something….

While at the store,  I decided to get me some new ankle socks. I try to save as much as possible, so I buy my socks in the boys section. (You get more and they are cheaper. )

While I was looking at the different brands and prices, I noticed a little bitty girl walking up and down the aisles. She looked to be about Wyatt’s age…around three…much too young to be on her own.

The grandma in me immediately went on alert.

I stood there looking at the socks, yet also keeping an eye out for the child. She was still walking up and down the aisles. It wasn’t very long before she came up to me. With tears about to spill over, she said, “Do you know where my mommy is?”  I said, “No, but we can go get someone to call her for you.” 

Being right behind the ladies dressing rooms, I quickly walked with her around to the front and sure enough, there were two Wal-Mart associates standing there at the desk. I explained to them that we had a “lost mommy” and one of them immediately took the little girl up to the front of the store to the courtesy desk.

I walked back around to the socks and it wasn’t very long before I saw a lady calmly describing a little girl to a Wal-Mart employee near there. This lady was holding on to a buggy and had two more little girls walking along beside her. I walked over and asked the associate if the lady had lost a child in the store and she told me she had. When I told that lady that her child was at the courtesy desk, and explained to her how she had came up to me asking for my help, she actually seemed more agitated than worried and said, “Well, she won’t stay in the buggy and then she wanders off all the time.”

Oh man…

I wanted so badly to say to this mama..”well then you MAKE her stay in the buggy, no ifs, ands, or buts about it”. I also wanted to say,” your little girl just walked up to a complete stranger and came right along with me when I asked her to. I would rather her be kicking and screaming in that dang buggy than be kidnapped!But the mama had already left to go to the courtesy desk….leaving me stunned. All I could think, as I watched her walk away was that;  I could have been someone who was not so nice. I could have been an evil person

And that baby walked right up to me, trusting me to help her.

God forbid, but I would have been frantic had I lost Wyatt or little William. We have entirely too many little ones being kidnapped and worse. We have got to start keeping a better eye on our little children.

This morning,while walking my pups, I saw the mother hen and her eight little fuzzy yellow chicks in my yard again. All eight of them chirping and running all about, scratching around in the dirt just like their mama. The mother hen was constantly rounding them up and guiding them closer to her and at one time she actually nestled down on top of them, to try to keep them all together…

To keep them safe.

Shouldn’t we as humans do at least that much for our little ones?

Thank You God for for helping me be where I was, when that child was lost.

GOD BLESS YOU ALL.

18 comments:

Celeste Sanders said...

Bless you for being a kind soul. Even though that mother was not grateful , I am. Thank you for being you.

Donna said...

It worries me when mothers don't act like mothers. One thing that makes me mad is to read about some mother that moves in with a boy friend she barely knows and then he ends up hurting or killing her child. What are they thinking?
I'll bet that kid came to you because you looked like a grandma.

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

It is so easy for a little one to come into harms way. Your story is a good reminder for any one caring for children to keep them close like the mother hen and her chicks.

Gerry said...

The most nightmarish experience I ever had was with my little girl when I took her to a mall. I had tied the string to her little wrist which I thought would enable me to keep track of her, but as I was looking over some merchandise she suddenly disappeared. I could just see her determined she was going to take a walk. Petrified I ran out of the store toward the mall and was running frantically along looking for her and that balloon, and a woman came up to me with her in her arms, saying are you looking for someone? I just thanked god over and over and ever since she was a mother and brought her back to me. My little girl was exceptionally cute and I could not help but think of that when Adam Walsh's son was abducted from a mall just out of sight of his mother who was about her age! Thank goodness you were there! I hope that mother learned a lesson from this as I did, and never let her out of my sight again or my grandson even when I had to put him on a leash!

Helen said...

I am glad that you were there for the child. It would have scared me to death of one of mine went missing when they were small. Bless your heart Carlene. Helen

Jimmy's Journal said...

You did great and the woman should have sterilzed years ago!

A chicken's head is only the size of a half dollar but it's got enough sense to take care of her brood.

Good for you!

Jimmy

Jimmy's Journal said...

You did great and the woman's obviously a moron.

A chicken's head is only the size of a half dollar but it's got enough sense to take care of her brood!

Jimmy

Jimmy's Journal said...

You did great and the woman's obviously a moron.

A chicken's head is only the size of a half dollar but it's got enough sense to take care of her brood!

Jimmy

Jimmy's Journal said...

You did great and the woman's obviously a moron.

A chicken's head is only the size of a half dollar but it's got enough sense to take care of her brood!

Jimmy

Jimmy's Journal said...

You did great and the woman's obviously a moron.

A chicken's head is only the size of a half dollar but it's got enough sense to take care of her brood!

Jimmy

Jimmy's Journal said...

You did great and the woman's obviously a moron.

A chicken's head is only the size of a half dollar but it's got enough sense to take care of her brood!

Jimmy

Jimmy's Journal said...

You did great and the woman's obviously a moron.

A chicken's head is only the size of a half dollar but it's got enough sense to take care of her brood!

Jimmy

Jimmy's Journal said...

You did great and the woman's obviously a moron.

A chicken's head is only the size of a half dollar but it's got enough sense to take care of her brood!

Jimmy

Jimmy's Journal said...

You did great and the woman's obviously a moron.

A chicken's head is only the size of a half dollar but it's got enough sense to take care of her brood!

Jimmy

Jimmy's Journal said...

You did the right thing. It's a shame the mother was a moron, but the child's welfare is much more important!

Jimmy

Lisa said...

You were meant to be there for that little one. I always watch our animals and think what wonderful mothers they are and how humans could take a few lessons.
You are a good soul.
xxx
Lisa

Barb said...

I've had that same experience hon. The Mom's were not happy when I confronted them with their lost child. They had the nerve to be angry with me. SORRY, but when it comes to kids, anybody's kid, I'll say what I have too and do what needs to get done.
Take care now. Love you much.

Nelishia said...

I have to tell Katie over and over that she most certainly cannot go to the toy section alone or to the restroom alone or anywhere alone. I have told her that I'd rather leave my purse in my car with the keys in it and the windows down that to lose sight of her for even a moment. Other Mom's aren't happy with me when I find their children in the same situation you found that woman's today. This breaks my heart. Poor child. She's obviously not valued.