Wednesday, February 8, 2012

I SAVED A RABBIT TODAY...I THINK.

Well, today has started out to be a pretty interesting day.

On my way home from town a while ago, I saw the big black and tan sheppard dog running up the sidewalk about a block from my home.

This dog is one of the many that run loose around our neighborhood. You wouldn't think that our city has a leash law, but it does. No matter how many times I call the animal shelter to come round them up, somehow or the other, there are still big dogs running loose around here...and chickens..and roosters...and turkeys.  Some people seem to think that just because they come from' far away', that they are above out laws and customs!

Okay back to the subject...

On my way home, I saw the big black and tan dog running up the sidewalk.

Only this time he had a huge white thing hanging from his mouth. At first I thought it was the beautiful solid white cat that had been hanging around here, but then I remembered that it had been killed a couple of weeks ago. I took a closer look and the big white thing was a rabbit that was dangling helplessly from that dog's mouth... and it was still alive..

I really needed to get home, but I could no more let that poor rabbit go to it's fate than if it were a child...

Sooooo.... here I go up the street in my car blowing my horn  and yelling constantly out the window at the dog to "DROP IT!"  The  dog turns around and heads back down the street, the rabbit still helplessly dangling from it's mouth, so I slam my car in reverse and chase the stupid dog  backwards...screaming; " DROP IT! " 

Well, I be danged if it didn't turn around again and head back up the street!  Soooooooo... I throw the car back in drive and chase it back up the street. This time I was able to corner it in my mom's old home place's yard. 

It was then and only then that the stupid dog finally, blessedly;

 "DROPPED IT".

The poor rabbit runs around to the side of the house and I now see  yet another dog running towards it. By this time I am out of my car and on my way to the rabbit. The new dog must have seen the fury of hell that was shining in my eyes, because one look at my face and he just cowards down and walked back across the street!

I go up to the poor rabbit, thinking this thing is going to claw me up, but no it did not. Poor little guy just cuddled way down into my arms. I could feel it's heart racing ninety miles an hour against my jacket... and mine wasn't far behind it.

Thinking back...I bet the folks who may have been looking out their windows at me driving wildly up and down the street, honking the horn and screaming out the window to "DROP IT"   probably thought I was deranged or on drugs... or both!!! lol

I take the rabbit and get in my car and go to the Mexicans' house that I had seen white rabbits running around out in the back yard in a fenced in area. When I knock on the door, a young lady answers and I ask, "is this your rabbit?" As she nods yes, I say, "the big black dog up the street had it and was going to kill it, so I chased it down and got it back" She nods  again and backing away from me  says, "wait a minute" and goes in another room, to come back with a young man. He comes up to me and I give him the rabbit and explain again. By this time, the young lady is now half hiding behind a door to the side and I don't know if she is scared of me or the rabbit! Soon enough, the young man tells me thank you and I leave feeling better.

After all, I saved a rabbit today!

Now, when I was a little bitty girl on Horseshoe Bend, my daddy would go rabbit hunting and he would come home loaded down with rabbits in his hunting jacket. That night, mama would cook those rabbits that my daddy shot, skinned and cleaned and we would have either stewed or fried rabbit for supper. And you can bet I ate it. We were hungry and very grateful to have such good   food for supper!

But this situation today was totally different...

This was a pet white rabbit and a dog was going to tear into it.

And besides....

I buy my food at INGLES now.

When I got home and told my son of how I saved that poor little white rabbit....

He informs me that he thinks those folks that I gave it back to...

 Eat those rabbits.

After all this...I sure hope not.

For mine and the rabbit's sake.


GOD BLESS YOU ALL.




5 comments:

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

What a life saver you are. I'm sure that must have been a pet rabbit or it would have high tailed it out of there.

Nova said...

Ibet they did think you were nuts. You done a good job. dannys dad raises rabbits to eat also. all those rabbits we post pics of when we go camping at his dads house.... well they are gonig to be food or he does sell some as pets

Pat said...

God Bless you Carlene for saving that sweet bunny rabbit. I know the poor little thing was scared to death. You are so much like me with your love for animals. Have a great evening.
Hugs!
Pat (FB friend)

Kath said...

My word Carlene it sounds like a scene from Whacky Races LOL!!I do hope the neighbour doesn't eat the poor bunny now, after all the trouble you went through to save him....Bless you.....Have a great Thursday Carlene. Hope you are all well.Take Care God Bless Kath xx

Missie said...

I would have done the same thing you did to save the rabbit. I'm told I'm a sucker for animals.

Have a good week.