Sunday, January 29, 2012

SUNDAY, JAN.29, 2012



I got up this morning with a lightness to my soul.

As I walked the pups in the early morning mist, I pondered why I felt such ease, such calm...and nothing came to mind.

Later on, as I sat here at the computer checking on my friends and family, I could see the first rays of sun begin filtering in through my bedroom window blinds..and I thought, 'that must be it..the weather has turned out so nice here lately. More like Spring than the winter that we are suppose to be having', but still I had this little nudging..that there was more to it than that.

A little bit later, I went into the kitchen and began fixing me and Dan a bite of breakfast. I got the bread down, buttered it and placed it in my oven to toast while the skillet heated up for the bacon and eggs. I got my special little grits pot that I like to use and put some water and salt in it to boil for my Quaker Grits...real grits...not those instant things...

The thought that, 'Danny would climb out of the grave', had I used instant grits briefly flickered across my mind.

And that is when it hit me. Today marked the 6th year that Danny had been gone. He died on a Sunday, a Sunday that was in all aspects just like today. Just as we were on our way to lunch at the Waffle House, he had a massive heart attack...and in only a couple of hours, he was gone....way too soon.

We were suppose to grow old together.
Well, I got the breakfast cooked and placed on the table and by this time it was nearing 10:30 am so I hurriedly ate mine and placed a clean towel over Dan's plate. I went into my bedroom, changed clothes and headed out the door.

You see, it had came to me clear as a bell, that I needed to go to church..and when GOD calls, I listen...or at least, try my best to. And He had called me this morning..rang up my soul just as good as ... no, better... than if He had a high powered cell phone ringing it's number.

Even though I had gotten such a late start, I walked into Church at 10:55...a full five minutes before Church service was to begin. One of the first songs we sang out of the hymnal, was one my mama played on the piano almost every Sunday at Penfield Church when I was a little bitty girl on Horseshoe Bend;  'Love Lifted Me'.


(How fitting for today!)

Anytime I hear or sing these old hymns my mama played, it never fails to bring a peacefulness deep within me. How well I remember her letting me sit with her on that old piano bench, as she played in that little country church.

I couldn't have been much older than Wyatt or Will and she let me sit there with her the whole time she played....talk about being brave!

Today, when it came time for the Choir to go to their places, no one moved. Even the preacher's wife stayed seated next to me...whispering that her husband would be singing this morning.

The very first song he sang was; 'Knowing You'll Be There' , which speaks of getting to meet your beloved again and how much you have missed them here on earth. The next was, 'Go Rest High On That Mountain'...about how one suffers here sometimes, until their final day on Earth, when they can finally find peaceful rest.

When the preacher finished singing and stepped down from the alter, he stepped right up to where I was standing, and told me how he missed so much fishing with Danny...and how he missed him just being here. 

Then he told me how he had been having Danny on his mind when he chose those two songs to sing.

( I have been away from church for over a month now. When the preacher chose those songs, he had no inkling that I would be sitting in that pew today. )

But GOD KNOWS our future.
He plans it.

I firmly believe that God called to my soul this morning. I believe that He wanted me to be in His house, so I could remember His message...


His promise.

That though I will always miss Danny, we will see each other again one day...

'And in that day, there will be no more tears, no more suffering, no more pain and no more death.'


Oh Hallelujah!

To God be the Glory!


GOD BLESS YOU ALL

11 comments:

Nova said...

so glad you had such a blessing on such a hard day. I remembered and posted on your wall. Its been so long since he left. I do hope he is holding Weston for me some..... Since he cant be here with your grandkids I pray and hope and am honored if you would ask him rock my Weston for me!

Kathy said...

Carlene. Miracles and messages are not always gigantic. We, each of us, need to open our hearts and minds and really listen. So glad that you do. It is often the very example you set that makes me pay more attention along the way.

Kath said...

I believe the same too Carlene.The Lord works in mysterious ways.I myself have experienced something almost similar.Not half an hour ago.It's a good feeling to know God Is With Us at all Times.Take Care God Bless.Sorry it's a sad day for you{{HUGS}} Kath xxxx

Barb said...

I'm glad you had such a great day, that you heard the Lord and responded. What a blessing you'd have missed had you not gone to church. Miracles? I believe in them, see them every day. Know I love you and keep you in my prayers every day. Please visit My JOHNNY journal, Carlene. I started this journal for my husband. He went on hospice and nothing has been the same since.
We embrace each moment as it comes, not knowing which one will be our last. Big hugs. You're such a treasure, so loved.

Helen said...

This entry brought tears to my eyes, I have no doubt that God was calling you to come to church to receive a great blessing. Lovya, helen

Gerry said...

You gave us a beautiful message, too, the one you received!

Paula said...

Glad you were able to go to church and get an uplifting message. It takes us about 45 minutes to get to our church but it is so worth it being a small friendly church.

Marlene said...

Carlene..you are such a special person. You write with such feelings from your heart. You listened to God that morning & received a Blessing! Something to soothe your soul. We all can connect with God if we be still & listen to every little thing or what is happening at that moment. You are so loved! :) God Bless You Always! Marlene

Arlene (AJ) said...

Carlene you were definitely meant to be at church, believe your Danny called you there to help you feel comfort and peace in your heart.

Arlene (AJ) said...

Carlene you were definitely meant to be at church, believe your Danny called you there to help you feel comfort and peace in your heart.

Missie said...

What a beautiful day your Sunday turned out to be. I agree with everyone else. You were meant to go to church that day. A message from Danny I believe.