Thursday, April 28, 2011

PATHS OF DESTRUCTION

With my television on yesterday evening and all through the night, I watched in horror as tornado after tornado ripped through Georgia’s sister state, ALABAMA.

It was almost like an evilness had decided that it was going to destroy and kill everything in it’s path. Then, once it started, it couldn’t get enough of the devastation it was causing…

So it kept right on going.

I watched for hours as the tornadoes tore and ripped up Alabama. In the end, it still wouldn’t be satisfied, even with all the destruction it had caused.

So, in the darkness of night, the evilness began it’s deadly trek into the state of Georgia. 

Just like General Sherman, who told Grant that he would,  make Georgia howl”,  so too did the evilness, as it cut it’s path of destruction from the northern tip to the southern part of our state.

Around 12:30 am, Greene County, Georgia came under a tornado WARNING. Not a watch..but a true WARNING. Which meant that there was rotation on the ground.

AND IT WAS HEADED TOWARD US. 

I prayed and prayed and prayed some more. Not only for myself and my family…but also for my friends and their families.

For over an hour, we were in the middle of hail, lightning, wild roaring wind and torrential rain…

But no tornado.

I ended up going to bed at 5:15 am this morning and got right back up at 7:00am.

While cooking Dan’s breakfast, I again turned the TV on and my heart ached as I looked at the devastation that lay in Alabama and Georgia. Alabama Gov. Robert Bentley said his state had confirmed 194 deaths. At least 280 people were killed across six states — more than two-thirds of them in Alabama, where large cities bore the half-mile-wide scars the twisters left behind.There were 33 deaths in Mississippi, 33 in Tennessee, 14 in Georgia, five in Virginia and one in Kentucky. Hundreds if not thousands of people were injured — 600 in Tuscaloosa, Alabama alone.

All day at work, for over ten hours, I worried about those I had not heard from since the tornadoes.

This evening I came home and found that one of my  friends from Alabama had commented on Facebook and finally…blessedly,  knew that at least she and her husband were safe.

It was like a dam had burst…I sat there and cried like a baby.

It could be that I am just getting soft in my old age, or it could be the hormone pills I now take, or it could be the fact that I only had one and a half hours sleep this morning before I had to get up and go on in to work.

But what I’d like to think it is…

That, as I have aged, I have finally learned what is most important in life.

Loved ones…. family ….. friends.

And the fact that they are SAFE and still with us.

WE ARE  SO BLESSED.

Thank You God.

GOD BLESS YOU ALL.

10 comments:

Donna said...

I was worried about some of my Internet friends last night. So glad to have a good report on most of them today.

EMAW said...

for us we had more than one I dont know where they get one. !?!?!? here in ky there was one in western state one in mid state and one southern. but ofr the month we have had 24 total. for us it has been a month of floods and storms. SO I DO feel blessed to have ahd my family here. its just all so sad so much bad weather but our state started a new torndao thing this year they say saved lives ..... when a tornado occours in the county all the ones surround are under threat and warning that saved lives they say. I belive it

Paula said...

when I heard of all this I said a prayer for you Carlene and your mama and daughter and her family. John's brother called from Virginia early this morning to say they had spent the night in the basement and were okay.

Sonya said...

It was a wild and wooly couple of days. It's just horrible the destruction and loss of lives.

Gerry said...

Oh my gosh, this is such a moving account of watching terrible and frightening scenes of destruction. It must have seemed indeed that Mother Nature had gone insane and was making the earth suddenly uninhabitable, but people are being so brave, even as they look at their destroyed homes. I can almost feel the power of your prayers here they are so strong in behalf of all the victims. That kind of caring spirit is what is needed to fight the evilness of nature gone amok.

madcobug said...

You did a good report Carlene, I know beyond a shadow of a doubt that prayers saved a lot of people. Including me and my family. I know they did you and your family also. May God continue to be with you Carlene. May he be with all those that lost family members and their homes.
Love you lady,You are one of the best women I know.
Helen

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

Truly family and friends are so important. It's not the homes or the things we have. I'm glad that you were safe there.

Missie said...

I've been praying for everyone affected by the tornadoes. I'm so glad you and your family are safe.

Arlene (AJ) said...

Carlene, glad you and your family were safe from the horrific tornadoes and devastation that hit the south. My heart goes out to all those who lossed their homes and/or loved ones. Agree that in life the most important things are family and friends. Like you was blessed to get calls from friends here in SC where we live to see if all was okay our way and I spent time calling my friends who lived in GA, AL & AK to know they were ok. Was blessed to hear they were all safe.

Adirondackcountrygal said...

Carlene, I am glad you and your family and friends are safe!