Thursday, March 3, 2011

THAT COULD HAVE BEEN US.

Last weekend, after work, I was sitting at the drive through window at Zaxby’s waiting on my order, when out of the side door, a little boy and girl came running out. Right behind them were (what I took to be) their parents. They all were laughing and chattering away as they strode toward their jeep, which also had a boat in tow. The dad popped open the rear jeep hatch and the children climbed in eagerly as their parents, laughing and talking amongst themselves, went on around to the front. As I sat there watching them, it hit me;

This use to be us.

One summer when we went to Myrtle Beach, just as we finally pulled up to our motel, our car battery died! A nice couple saw us having trouble and jumped us off, so we could go get a new one. I remembered how that dead battery didn’t spoil our time, and how we laughed all the way to the store. The rest of the vacation has faded into all the other times we went to Myrtle Beach, disappearing like the little wisps of steam that come up from a hot cup of coffee and quickly fade away.

But our laughter still plays on.

I miss those times. When you have children, you are so busy raising them that you don’t notice how fast the time is moving, do you? One minute, it seems we are bringing them home from the hospital,  the next we are sending them off to school and before we even know it…they are gone from our homes.

Oh, if I could go back and know then what I know now… I would try to hold on to every minute of every single day. I wouldn’t be so worried about what I needed to get done around the house

I would take more time to hug my kids and hold them close.

Time goes forward .. it doesn’t come back.

GOD BLESS YOU ALL.

11 comments:

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

Memories are wonderful things. Just like a good book that we can pull out and browse again. I'm so thankful that like you I can look back and remember happy times like that too. We are blessed to have had those wonderful times. Some people never experience them so I count my blessings. Like you say time goes forward. Enjoy each moment of each day as it comes.

Shininggoober said...

You are so right Carlene! And those grandbabies grow just as fast if not faster!

LYN said...

so very true..i just posted about the very same thing!!

Lisa said...

A great reminder to cherish each day we have with those we love. I remember those days as a child and I would give anything to go back to those times.
xxx
Lisa

Indigo said...

This post made my heart ache in a good way. I cherish my memories with my daughter, but oh, how I wish I could of made more. (Hugs)Idnigo

madcobug said...

I agree Carlene. Time waits on no one. Lovya, Helen

TARYTERRE said...

I agree. Time is short. They grow up too fast. And then we're left with the sweet memories.

Adirondackcountrygal said...

I feel melancholy like that when I think of Travis when he was a little boy but to tell you the truth, I wouldn't want to raise any more kids. I still have 7 years until Sarah is 18! I will enjoy it once my kids leave the nest but I'm sure there will be times when I wish they were little again, for a little while! I guess that is why God invented Grandbabies!

Jimmy's Journal said...

Well said, Carlene! A lot of us wish the same thing.

Jimmy

Jen said...

So very true! Goes by way too fast.

Adirondackcountrygal said...

unfortunately we have very few good times in our family due to our childrens bad behavior. I find going anywhere with the two of them together, particularly the stepson to be a grueling experience. I enjoy spending time with my daughter but somehow family trips always turn out to be torture trips of kids whining and begging for things and declaring hunger every mile!