Wednesday, December 1, 2010

EMPATHY

        angelDsDesignsNothinginlife

What does it take to move the human spirit to show empathy? Empathy is the identification with and understanding of another's situation, feelings, and motives…so I guess one would have to had experienced at least some of what the other person is going through.

Being raised like we were,  gave me the chance to experience things that some folks haven’t had the chance to…Like being hungry because there is no more food left in the house….or the only food available for a day or two was black berries and milk…Like being cold….shivering throughout the night  because there is no heat in the house….or standing on the corner waiting on the school bus and telling your friend you are not cold because you have no coat to go back and get….and you are ashamed to admit it. Like being in school and having your shoe fall off your foot because the sole wore out…

As a child and a young adult, I use to be ashamed of the fact that we had very little coming up…I am no longer ashamed of how I was raised..I am actually thankful to GOD for that experience. Please don’t get me wrong…my parents were good people…my daddy worked two and three jobs all his life until he retired… and my mama was a stay at home mama…well most all mama’s were stay at home mamas back then in the 40’s and 50’s…and she workedoh how hard she worked to keep us going back then on Horseshoe Bend, even with very bad legs and feet. Back then, if there was a welfare system, we didn’t know it…so we made do with what we had.

Having felt cold and hunger as a small child…having had very few clothes that were already thread bare by the time I received them…makes me realize that although television today portrays our country as the land of  rich people or middle class people…there  are folks here that are dealt a bad hand in life…for whatever reason, they are down on their luck and may not  have the mental capacity to improve their situation.

I saw such a person …I watched her closely for over three weeks…I watched her fumble and fiddle with her belongings…I watched her talking to the invisible …to pure air…I watched as she blew on her fingers to try her best to warm them…and my heart broke…and I thought..BUT FOR THE GRACE OF GOD GO I…OR MY CHILDREN…OR MY GRANDCHILDREN…OR MY MAMA…

We never know what the future may hold for any of us. The way this country is going now days, this could be any one of us.

In a world that has grown cold hearted…in a world where some may  think;  ‘well, they have chosen their life’….I thank God there are still a few people left with compassion and empathyI thank GOD there are those among us with the love of CHRIST JESUS burning within them…

I thank God for the ANGELS that are placed among us to help those of us less fortunate.

GOD BLESS YOU ALL.

9 comments:

madcobug said...

God bless you Carlene and God bless others who have been in need and those who have helped others who are in need. I had a pretty hard time growing up but not as much as you did. Lovya,
Helen

Barbara said...

What a blessing!

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

You did have a hard time of it. I didn't have it quite as bad as there was always soles on my shoes and food on the table, but we were not rich and both my folks worked too. Sometimes I think the good Lord does send hard times into our lives so that we can be thankful for what we do have and also so that we can empathize with others and to encourage them too. You are like a candle in the window shedding the light to others. Bless you!

Gerry said...

Yes, I see more homeless now as I think more people are without jobs. This is a complex of last resort where there are attempts to place people who may not even have had a place to live for many years, like my neighbor who I understand spent 16 years on the streets homeless. He still goes out and sits on the curb every day for long hours and talks to himself. He is all bent over probably from lack of nutrition, but I thank God Tony is experiencing a roof over his head for a little while before he dies. He is still mentally ill to the point that what he says to you makes little sense, but he has learned not to attack people so he will lose his single apt. Every day when we go out we are apt to see a homeless person asleep under a blanket in one of the alcoves of the hotel. Ooh, what a chilly bedroom that would be right now when Phoenix is at its coldest, but many homeless come to warm Arizona in the winter. You have a good heart, Carlene. I love to hear stories of your past, because they are proof that poverty cannot change a good person to a bad one. You inspire people, so keep on writing.

Lisa said...

What a lovely entry Carlene. We have so much and are blessed by God's grace ... the hard times have molded us and I thank God I am able to appreciate those times now, like you, although at the time I didn't fully grasp that.

Anonymous said...

I have never read your blog before until today and I have to tell you your words touched me deeply. You have given me so much to think about today and now everyday. I could honestly sympathize with your words for I have been in similar situations as you. So I wanted to thank you for being such an inspiration and God sent. God is good and may he bless you tremendously!

Lisa said...

I love your entries Carlene. I wish teens today could understand where so many of us have come from and appreciate the sacrifices that have gone before them.

Suzi Que said...

I don't know why your posts don't show up on my FB page... :-( I missed this one till I actually went to Horseshoe Bend.
Your family did indeed have it hard, Carlene. I remember Mama and daddy talking about this, and worrying and now and then I think Mama sent your Mama some money ... We had so little, yet you had so much less. I am like you - grateful for what I DO have today and I promise to remind myself that compared to some, in our own country, I live like a Queen in a palace. So I will try to remember not to complain when I think I should feel sorry for myself... It is the memories that I have, and the ones that you share, that slap me into reality... and for these, and you, I am grateful.
I love you!!!

Suzi Que said...

Girl, you're right... People truly don't know how easily they could have be in the same situation that you grew up in, or worse... I used to tell my kids that they had it good compared to what he had... My mother in law used to gently scold us for giving them so much. She said that kids "nowadays" have too much... they don't appreciate it... And she was right. Bless your heart. I love you and I'm glad we both learned value. It's too bad we can't bottle that knowledge up and sell it... XOXOX
Love you, Cousin! Sue Ellen