Wednesday, September 15, 2010

PRECIOUS MEMORIES

      fallmill
When Danny and I first got married, he worked at the Mary Leila Cotton Mill as a doffer. He took me on a tour of his work section one day when we were dating…I was awed at how fast he had to be to keep up with those huge machines!

I remember there was cotton blowing everywhere in that room. The whole  room’s air was infiltrated with tiny loose cotton strands. No wonder Danny use to come home after work with the white fuzz all in his hair, his nose, his throat, and all over his entire body. All the workers did. His mama and his  grandmother both worked with Danny at the Mill, and would come help him catch up with his section at lunch, so they could all eat together.

When we married, we rented a little 3 room shotgun house from the Mill. It was right in front of the Mill’s front office and though empty now, it still stands. We didn’t own a car, so we walked to town to get our groceries…Back then there was very little money, so there were very few groceries to carry home! We mainly lived off beans and cornbread and only occasionally would we have meat for supper.  But we were so happy!

Back when I lived on Horseshoe Bend…we had chicken maybe once a week on Sunday morning.  Mama had to go outside and catch that chicken and kill it, scald it, pluck it, clean it and then and only then, was she able to fry it. Sometimes during the week, if daddy had time from working his two jobs to go  fishing, we would have fried catfish or bream and if it was hog killing time, we had pork…but mostly beans and potatoes or just white gravy and biscuits…Oh what I would give for mama’s good white gravy and great big fluffy cat head biscuits now!

You know, in the fifty plus years God has granted me here on this earth, I have come to understand that it is the simplest things which give us true happiness and most times, we don’t realize it until much later in life.

It is the simple things from my past that I miss the very most …like snuggling up with Danny on cold winter nights,he and I both fussing because our feet are so cold… holding each other’s hands while walking , seeing my babies take their first steps, going to get a Christmas tree with Danny and our kids, taking our babies to see their grandparents for the first time, me and Danny picking up pecans with Kathy and Donnie, and laying in bed talking with Danny.

These times in my life didn’t cost a dime, but I couldn’t and wouldn’t be able to put a price on them.

Remember the old hymn Precious Memories? 


Memories like these are priceless.

GOD BLESS YOU ALL.

8 comments:

Lisa said...

what a beautiful entry Carlene...you are so right... I have found the same to be true in my own life... it's the little things in life that make life so good.

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

You do have some beautiful memories that are worth more than diamonds or gold. Thanks for sharing them with us today. Lots of Love and Hugs to you!

madcobug said...

Those were good memories Carlene. I remember my granny making those cathead biscuits.She had a big family. Lots of the grandkids came to eat also. The highlight of our day was when all those cousins came. That meant a day of playing in the woods, pastures, and creeks.

Donna said...

Oh, this is so timely! Cliff and I are reading a book called "The Bridge" that tells about the cotton mills in the late 20's and early 30's. You telling about Danny's job could have been pulled right out of that book!

Suzi Que said...

Wonderful blog, Carlene! I love reading about the things that you share. I feel like we might have been right next door all of our lives after I read what you write. I know about the white gravy and biscuits and the cold feet in winter... It's always a sweet treat to travel back to those simple times and I'm glad, as always, that you let me, and others, come along with you.

Love you bunches!

Sue Ellen

Pat said...

Carlene I love your blog. It brings back so many good memories for me. I remember we had a lot of beans and cornbread..I remember lots of times eating white gravy and biscuits, and still love those things today!! We had a BIG garden, a couple of cows, and a couple of hogs. We didn't have to buy very much from the grocery store. Times were so good back then. I'm like you I love the simple things in life, and we DO appreciate them as we get older. I think you and I are about the same age. I hope you're doing well! Have a great rest of the week.
Hugs,
Pat

Ally Lifewithally said...

Memories are so precious ~ thankyou for sharing yours with us ~ Ally x

Arlene (AJ) said...

Carlene, a very touching read. The memories of my past are so special to me. Sure there was the ups and downs and sad times, but overall I was blessed to have more good memories to hold in my heart than not. Bless you for bringing back all our memories with your words today. Have a good day your way dear.