Tuesday, September 7, 2010

LABOR DAY AND DENTISTS

 0905001123

Sign of the times…Fall is coming!

This past Saturday at the BBQ was our first Georgia Bulldog Game, the start of Dove hunting season, Labor Day weekend and the first week of the month, all rolled into one long day! So needless to say, we were busy! After opening at 9:00am, we sold out of meat and stew by 11:30 am and had to get more brought in.

0904101153_0001_0001 0904101154a_0001

              FUTURE BULLDOG FANS

People were lined up in the dining area as soon as we got there for the fried pork skins and it was all we could do to weigh them and get them bagged and sell them. We sold out of ALL the pork skins within 15 minutes of opening. We had a very brisk day, selling out of meat and stew twice more before we finally called it quits at 7:30pm. 

                   gabulldog

We had some Georgia Bulldog fans ( ADULTS ) come in and sit at the long back table near closing time. On each side of that table hung up on the wall are Georgia Bulldog rugs.  In the middle of the rugs is an approximately 3ft x 4ft Georgia Tech Banner hung a little higher up on the wall in honor of my boss’ nephew ( he is also the owner’s grandson) who graduated from there. When the Bulldog Fans left, I went back to clean off their table and found the Georgia Tech Banner wadded up under the table with the chairs sitting on top of it.  Now wouldn’t you think that ADULTS would have more respect for other’s property than that?  We may have been poor little critters out there on Horseshoe Bend, but my mama taught us ALL how to have respect .

0904002235

Just a moment before Will pulled his brother’s ear!

After I got off work, I headed home and took the pups out for a quick walk and then headed back over to Amanda’s house to  babysit my grandsons. It was Kelvin’s sister Liz’s birthday and they wanted to take her out to celebrate. They had a whole lot of folks, Dan included,  going along with them to Cowboy’s…a country music dance hall over in Milledgeville. My grandboys were so sweet…never had an ounce of trouble out of either one of them. Amanda and Kelvin are blessed with two good natured little tykes. Little Wyatt was so happy to see me when I come in  that he started hopping up and down and doing the happy dance!!! I asked him; “Wyatt, what are you doing?” and he said, “I happy Maw-maw!” and then he ran and put his little arms around my legs and just hugged me so tight! God have mercy, that baby can melt this old woman’s heart.

0904002231a

                Watching TV together!

It was around 5:00 am when Amanda, Kelvin, Liz and Dan  finally made it home and everyone seemed to have had a wonderful time! I had let the boys stay up as late as they wanted because I knew their parents would probably want to sleep late the next day…but I stayed awake the whole time. So I was more than ready to head back to my house and crawl into my bed when they all came home! I went to bed as soon as I got home and went back to bed off and on all day Sunday….and no I didn’t make it to church.

0906001040

        Will took Wyatt’s pickle!

0906001041a

            Wyatt took his pickle back!

0906001045

        So Will got his very own pickle!

Yesterday morning,  Amanda, Kelvin, the boys, Dan and I all got together and went to the Crawfordville Labor Day Fair. Kelvin’s mama and Liz came over there later on too. For it to have been so cool when I got up around 6:30, it sure did get hot during the fair! I got sunburned on my neck and face. We kept the kids in the shade and kept them well hydrated. I had heard the parade would start at 10 am but found out once there that it wouldn’t start until 2:00!  Right after the parade, we left and came home. We had a real nice time, but I missed getting me some scuttlins and muskidines….and gosh, I sure did want some.

0906001346

          Keeping the fluids coming!

0906001408

Watching the parade with mommy

0906001213

Playground near the fair…One tired little Will

I woke Dan up this morning around 7:00am and after getting dressed, we headed to Athens to the dentist. He had to have oral surgery to remove three teeth. He was suppose to have four pulled but once there, he asked the dentist not to pull his front one yet! So the dentist said he would wait a while on that one.  I tell you what, we couldn’t have asked for a nicer dentist! Matter of fact all of the people there were very kind and tried their very best to make Dan as comfortable as could be. Of course Dan was so nervous that the dental chair was shaking violently while he sat there waiting to get it over with!

DANATDENTIST

          Today at Dentist.

Right about the time I took this picture, I thought he was was going to get up and go!  It didn’t help matters that someone across the hall…a grown man…was screaming his fool head off every time the dentist stepped near him! I wanted to step over there and help him out…by knocking his butt on out…the hard way!

Man, he had Dan scared to death!

You have to understand, Dan has been terrified of doctors and dentists since he was a baby and it has always been the hardest thing to get him to go. It was so  awful when he was younger because  sometimes, we had to literally drag him into  the doctor’s office or hospital kicking and screaming. It hasn’t gotten much better either, believe me! For one thing, he is a lot bigger and hard for me to mange.

All and all, he did pretty good today and I thank God for the kindness of the dental team up there at Athens' Family Dental Clinic.

And I thank you my friends for all your kind words and prayers;  for I am sure they helped make the day a little easier…

But, I am so glad that this day is over with!

GOD BLESS YOU ALL .

7 comments:

Paula said...

It means so much to have a kind dentist or doctor and their staff. So often they couldn't care less. I know you and Dan are both glad that is over with. That was certainly rude of those people to remove that banner from the wall.

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

You lead a busy life for sure. I know this grand'ma' would never be able to stay up till 5:00 am without a nap in between. I'm glad you get to enjoy so many great family times. Those little ones to light up our lives. I hope the week ahead is a great one and maybe a little less busy.

Gerry said...

I love hearing about your good times with the grandkids. The photos of them are so cute. It always sounds like they are enjoying life. Your Dan dentist story reminds me of taking my daughter to have 4 teeth pulled (crowded) and the doctor assured me that with laughing gas she would feel nothing. Why did she then moan and cry real loud throughout? I bet you are glad Dan's misery is mostly over.

Barbara said...

So glad you had a good weekend and got to spend some special time with the grandkids. I don't care for the dentist stuff either.

Lisa said...

Oh I know how hard going to the dentist can be. I have to pray very hard each and every time. Glad Dan made it through all that. And So glad you had a day to rest and a nice day at the fair and some time with your grandsons!!
Lisa in Kentucky

Arlene (AJ) said...

Sounds like you had one busy long weekend your way. Like you, so glad to see the college football season back (we're Ohio State Buckeye fans)but watch all the college games...wasn't nice of those folks to mess up the banner for Georgia Tech...ok they weren't Tech fans, but gee be adult and show some respect. Your grandsons are just adorable, how lucky they are to have you for their grandma. Glad Dan made it thru the dental visit ok. Take care your way.

Adirondackcountrygal said...

Those customers sounded very childish. Glad things went well for Dan at the dentist. My husband has to go and get all his teeth pulled. They are mostly all bad and he will need dentures.