Friday, August 13, 2010

YOU NEVER KNOW…

Nothing special about my work day this morning…No funny feelings like I am sometimes known to get if something is going to happen. Just a normal day, as I headed toward the table in the corner with pen and pad in hand. It was after I had gotten their order that the lady informed me that a friend’s husband had suffered a brain aneurysm this morning. I was so shocked that my breath literally caught in my throat and it was all I could do to keep from crying.

This friend had lost her daddy a little over 6 weeks ago and had just underwent some painful oral surgery the day before. She had been through quite a rough time and had shown me just how strong she truly is.

And now this.

I am sure when she went to bed last night that she had no ideano inkling… that her world was about to be turned upside down.

Just like that night over four years ago…when I didn’t know that my world, as I knew it, was about to end

Sometimes  I have wondered if I would have done anything or said anything different that Saturday night had I known. Oh, I am sure there would have been some things done differently on both our parts, but we pretty much had already ‘gotten ourselves in gear’ so to speak,  because God had already given me and Danny the warnings. You see, there were several smaller heart attacks before the massive heart attack that finally took his life.

The weeks we spent together at Emory during his open heart surgery to replace his aortic valve was time that we spent talking about all our years together and also about what time that we hoped we had left.

The night before his surgery, we stayed up all night because Danny wanted to make sure that I knew all his wishes, just in case. My heart breaking, I didn’t want to listen…but he was determined…and he was so happy when he awoke to find that he had made it through the surgery.

That was in August of 2005.

We didn’t know it then, but we only had five more months together on this earth. That Sunday morning on Jan 29, 2006 was like any other Sunday morning at  our house…Matter of fact Danny told me he felt better than he had in years.

Within  two hours, he would be gone….

Forever.

Today,  while working at the Bar-B-Que I was reminded once again how fragile life is.

How the totally unexpected can come flying from out of nowhere to smack you right in the face,  when you least expect it.

So, before you go to bed tonight, if you are lucky enough to still have that special someone there with you…

Give them a great big hug and make sure that they know how much you love them….

Because you never know.

GOD BLESS YOU ALL.

1 comment:

Donna said...

Yep. There but for the grace of God go I. Cliff went in for a simple stress test and hardly made it 15 minutes before they stopped him because something wasn't right. We've approached life in a whole different way ever since. And you have been one of my guiding lights.