Sunday, July 4, 2010

TIMES GONE BY

      family16

Today was such a hard day at work…It being the Fourth of July weekend brought us many, many orders for Bar-B-Que and Stew…I am pretty sure that we sold well over 100 pounds within the first hour of opening.

By the time 6:00 pm came around, for some reason, my back was torturing me. Even taking 3 Motrin didn’t cut the pain one iota…so I just kept on going …. trying not to look at the time, but keep working towards the goal of getting everything done that needed to be done….and let me tell you…though I work hard sometimes, my boss lady works harder and never have I heard her complain.

When I got home, I did something I don’t ever do, I immediately went to my room and laid down trying to ease the pain. After a few minutes, miraculously, the pain had actually eased up enough to let me get up and take Dan to get something to eat.

I keep my car radio tuned to the Greensboro radio station, and tonight they were playing the old rock and roll songs. Songs from the sixties and seventies. Songs that never fail to bring back memories.

On the way back from the interstate, where I got our supper, a song came on that I had not heard in a long, long time…and hearing the words  immediately took me back to my teen years. Funny how just listening to certain songs can transport you back in time.

I don’t know whether it was the fact that me and Dan were riding with the car widows down in order to feel the unnaturally cool summer breeze while we slowly rode down the main street in our little town, or  if it were the song’s haunting melody…but hearing it took me through a time warp.

It  just seemed like all the right elements were there and they were coming together…forming a time machine to take me back to those golden days of my youth…Let me tell you, for some reason, tonight,  that time in my life was so close that I could honestly feel it and almost, just almost…. touch it.

Long ago scenes flashed in my mind’s eye like snapshots…living pictures from my past…special moments frozen in time…some important, some seemingly not.

Passing the old Greensboro High School, I saw me and Danny standing in front of the wall that  lead to the lunch room and he is telling me that he loved me….and when I got to the middle of town, I could see us parked in front of the City Cafe….talking and holding hands…neither of us with a care n the world.

If only I could go back and know then what I know now.

Oh, and the song that was playing???  Danny use to tell me to “listen to the words, Carlene” and I would see how he truly felt about me…

Well, I listened to the words tonight Danny….

Here it is…lyrics and all…

Bridge Over Troubled Water

When you’re weary, feeling small,
When tears are in your eyes, I will dry them all;
I’m on your side. When times get rough
And friends just can’t be found,
Like a bridge over troubled water
I will lay me down.
Like a bridge over troubled water
I will lay me down.

When you’re down and out,
When you’re on the street,
When evening falls so hard
I will comfort you.
I’ll take your part.
When darkness comes
And pain is all around,
Like a bridge over troubled water 
I will lay me down.
Like a bridge over troubled water
I will lay me down.

Sail on silver girl,
Sail on by.
Your time has come to shine.
All your dreams are on their way.
See how they shine
If you need a friend
I’m sailing right behind.

Like a bridge over troubled water
I will ease your mind.
Like a bridge over troubled water
I will ease your mind.

Danny was my ‘bridge over troubled waters’….

And I miss him so much sometimes'…

 that it takes my breath away…..

Like tonight.

GOD BLESS YOU ALL.

9 comments:

Paula said...

Your entry made me cry Carlene. Not only for you and your loss but for me an my loss too. Have as nice a week-end as you can.

Adirondackcountrygal said...

Carlene that is a lovely entry as usual. We sang that song when I was in elementary school for a concert!

madcobug said...

Beautiful memories and a beautiful song. Rest as much as possible these next two day. I can see why your back hurt so much. Hugs, Helen

Jady said...

Aunt Lene, we sing that in church and it is one of my favorites!

Rose said...

this song was one of my mother's favorites. she used to listen to many such songs in the dark at night. music is so powerful that it can evoke such feels. take care of yourself sweety!

xo

Suzi Que said...

I think it is absolutely true that you can slip through that time warp and relive a precious moment. Nothing is tangible, but a sound, a smell, a certain nuance brings it right back to us. I believe that nothing in time is ever lost. It is still here, and we're lucky, beyond imagination, to get to drift through it once more. I'm sorry I never met Danny. I am grateful that you bring him to life through your words, Carlene. This was a beautiful post, and I thank you for it... and the words, the song from Simon and Garfunkle, has always been a favorite of mine. We, Jo Ann and Melinda and I used to sing it in church...
I hope you have a happy 4th of July, and that you find another memory today that makes you happy.

Love you!

Missie said...

I have some songs that bring back memories to me too. I'm sure we all do. Rest that back of yours up!

Happy 4th of July!

Kath said...

I think we all have songs which remind us of times gone bye Carlene and touch our hearts.I love the old piture of you and Danny.Sorry you have back problems prayers you soon feel better.Have a lovely Tuesday.I have been away for two weeks.,so just catching up in Blogger.I hope the family are all well and your Mama too.Take Care God Bless Kath xx

madcobug said...

Me again, I just read you entry again. I love that song also. When your back hurts so bad when you get home lie down with an icepack with a cloth wrapped around it. Don't let it stay long enough to get frost burn though. I use one several times a day and believe me it does help. Lovya, Helen