Sunday, May 30, 2010

MY MAMA SANG

              mamaslove

As soon as I get this posted, I am going to get up from here and take a shower and get ready to go to church. 

As I write, I am listening to AOL radio and Tennessee Ernie Ford is singing;

“AS WE GATHER AT THE RIVER”

and it brings back so many childhood memories.

I remember my mama had an old radio that she listened to constantly. It crackled and buzzed as it played, but it was one of the very few luxuries she was able to have back in those days on Horseshoe Bend. She loved music and come to think of it, she seemed to love all kinds…just as I do now.

Looking back, it seemed that the radio station stayed tuned to country more times than not…In my mind,  I can still hear Roy Acuff, Patsy Cline, and Tex Ritter’s voices coming from that little radio, that my mama kept in the kitchen. I often wonder how many little children now days are lucky enough to hear their mama singing as she makes  breakfast or supper for them…as we did back then.

She could sing beautifully too!  I remember her telling me that when she was but a young girl, she and her older sister Helen use to sing together…and was once requested to sing on radio. This art of singing has seemed to have passed down through the years. I know one of Aunt Helen’s daughters can sing beautifully, as I heard her singing at my other Aunt’s funeral.  Several of my mama’s daughters and grand daughters have this gift also.

Can you just imagine??? It never dawned on my young mind, but it sure does now…

frequently

That my mama was only 27 when I was born and had already given birth to five children before me…She lived in a house that had no running water…She had no rugs on the bare, never painted, never varnished wooden floors…Nor any paint on the wooden plank walls of that little four room home…

No heat in the winter,except for the one pot bellied stove and nothing to cool it in the hot Georgia summers, except for one little metal osculating fan…She did without so much that others would have taken for granted, even back then in the hard times. Some would say she had nothing to sing about…

But she sang…and she sang beautifully.

No state of the art stereo system, nothing we or anyone else could sing, would ever sound as sweet as my mama’s voice drifting through that old ramshackle house ….

A voice which still travels through my mind, my soul and my heart today.

If you are blessed to still have your mama…

Be sure to tell her how much you love her today before it’s too late….and don’t forget to thank her for all the many things that she may have sacrificed just for you.

Even  if she has went on to wait for you in that Heavenly home…

You can still tell her.

GOD BLESS YOU ALL.

9 comments:

madcobug said...

I bet you Mama would love to have a little radio now to listen to singing as long as it was not turned to loud. That is if they allow her to have one. They had TV's where my daddy was so why not radios. Helen

Kath said...

Awww what a lovely post Carlene I
felt as though I was there with you,all those years back then.Sounds a lot like my upbringing too.I don't have my Mother around,I lost her when I was 39 and I still miss her sooooo much to this day.Thankyou for sharing your wonderful memories with us.Take Care God Bless Kath xx

Sonya said...

Nice memories of your Momma. Hope you are having a good weekend!

Suzi Que said...

Oh my indeed this takes me back. My Mama and your mama did love to sing and I remember that anytime Mama did anything around the house she was singing... Kitty Wells, Loretta Lynn, Ernest Tubb, Porter Wagner... Jo Ann, Linda and myself all sing. I smoked so long that I ruined my lungs unfortunately but Linda and Jo still sing a lot. I do too when there's no one around whose hearing I'll damage. LOL! Loved this post hon! I love you and my precious Aunt Margaret. Tell her for me.

Sayit-baldys said...

DEAR OLD MOTHER.
CARLENE, A LOVING POST.

MY MOTHER ALSO SANG, HUMMED AND WHISTLED. BIRDS WOULD COME TO HEAR HER.

OH THOSE GOOD MEALS FROM THE WOOD BURNING KITCHEN RANGE. THE SMELL OF BACON AND COFFEE.

SEWING, MENDING, TENDING CHICKENS, WORKING IN HER PERSONAL GARDEN, HERBS AND FLOWERS.

HOW SHE LOVED WE CHILDREN.
SO GLAD YOU STILL HAVE YOUR MOTHER CARLENE. sam

Barbara said...

My mother had a suitable, but not remarkable alto voice. But my some of my favorite memories are of her singing me songs out of her old high school glee club song book. I sing those same songs to my children. They were hits in the late 30's.....now they are treasures that turn up once in awhile in an old classic movie.

Also remember her voice next to me in church singing praise to His name. I was fortunate they didn't think the music had to be amplified in church then....and I could hear her clearly. Now you can't tell if the person next to you is singing or just moving their mouth to the words. :o(

Give YOUR Mama a hug from ME.

Missie said...

Have a good rest of your week!

debbie said...

HAPPY SUNDAY CARLENE,
THIS IS MY FIRST TIME TO YOUR BLOG AND I WILL BE BACK TIME AND TIME AGAIN. I LOVE YOUR BLOG.
YOUR QUOTE BY RALPH WALDO EMERSON IS ONE OF MY FAVORITES.
I GREW UP WITH MY PARENTS LISTENING TO PATSY CLINE, BUCK OWENS, AND JOHNNY CASH TO NAME A FEW.
MY MOTHER WAS/IS A SOPRANO AND I MAY HAVE HEARD HER SING TWICE. SHE ALWAYS WANTED TO SING IN THE CHOIR BUT TO THIS DAY SELLS HERSELF SHORT.
I AM SO SORRY ABOUT YOUR HUSBAND PASSING AWAY. I KNOW GOD IS THEIR FOR US DURING OUR GRIEF.
MY ONLY 33 YEAR OLD DAUGHTER GRADUATED TO HEAVEN OCT. 23, 2009. IT HAS NOT BEEN A YEAR YET AND I HAVE TREMENDOUS GRIEF AT TIMES.
I LOOK FORWARD TO GETTING TO KNOW YOU.
HAVE A HAPPY WEEK
ANGEL HUGS
SIMPLY DEBBIE

Lisa said...

What a beautiful entry about your mom!! I sure did enjoy this!! I long for the times when things were simpler. To this day we try to keep thigns simple around our home. We sure are spoiled these days!!
Lisa in KY