Wednesday, April 28, 2010

FACING BOOGER-BEARS

           carleneasachild

When I was little, we finally got a TV in the house and the one thing my siblings always wanted to watch on Saturdays were the scary movies…like The Werewolf , Dracula, or Frankenstein. I didn’t like those movies, in fact I hated them.  I had much rather be watching Captain Kangaroo, Mighty Mouse or the Mickey Mouse Club…. but back then, TV was still such a rarity and so very new to us, that I couldn’t not watch!

I admit though, most of the time, my little  head was up under a pillow….but I could still hear.

I use to have nightmares about Frankenstein…You remember him, right?  Back then, horror movies were like the  toys of that age and time…They let you use your imagination. You didn’t have to see all the blood and gore like they show today to be justifiably scared ….it was what you didn’t see  that terrified you.

Anyway, in my dreams it as always night, with a full moon and Frankenstein would be chasing me.  I  would  be running down the dirt road in front of our old house…running down Horseshoe Bend….or rather trying to run down it…because in my dream, my legs would be as heavy as lead, and try as I might, I could not get anywhere…In the dreams, it always felt like my feet were stuck in the Georgia mud. I would be constantly looking back over my shoulder and he would be gaining on me. Scary stuff…especially for a little 5 or 6 year old kid.  I hated having those dreams and would always wake mama up with my crying.

This went on for what seems like years…One night, I went to sleep and the same dream popped up…He was chasing me again…and I had grown tired of running…and he was gaining on me and I was so fed up with all this….

So I stopped ... I stopped running and I turned around and waited on him to get there.

Oh, I was so scared and can remember that dream like it was yesterday….I can still feel my heart beating wildly… about to burst out of my little chest….but dang it, I was fed up with running….and running … and running…and all I knew was that..

Me and my little brave self wasn’t going to run no more…

He would just have to kill me.

Funny thing was, when he got close up to me,  so close that I looked him in his face…

He disappeared.

Whew….

Now that I am grown , I occasionally find myself still running away, much the same way I did as a little child in those dreams. Oh, not from monsters per say, but from some fear or worry or loss.

So,  I have to remind myself to stop the running…to turn around and face what I am scared of.

It wasn’t easy back then and it isn’t now, but to ever find peace within ourselves….

We have to stop running, and turn around to face the booger-bears sometimes.

In order to make them disappear…

So we can get on with our lives.

GOD BLESS YOU ALL.

6 comments:

madcobug said...

I hate scary movies, always have. A child shouldn't have to watch them. I understand you had to if the others did.
No you can't run away from whatever is bothering you, you have to face the problems sometimes. Hugs, Helen

Suzi Que said...

Awesome Carlene, and so true! Face the fear and you can overcome it! I loved this. I remember those Saturday morning shows and the scary movies at night! Good times!

Love you!
Sue

Donna said...

My mom and I went to the movies and saw Abbot and Costello meet Frankenstein; after that I dreamed often about skeletons chasing me through dark tunnels.

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

You are so right. We do have that wonderful choice. There is little room for those boogle bears in my life. I want to enjoy every moment of every day! Hope you do too!

Sayit-baldys said...

CARLENE,
YOU ARE A TREASURE.
DREAMS CAN SEEM SO REAL FOR A CHILD AND MIGHT ADD TO A MATURE ADULT.
FORTUNATELY WE WAKE UP JUST BEFORE THE CALAMITY HAPPENS.
SOME DREAMS HOWEVER ARE PLEASANT AND WELCOME THOUGH DISAPPOINTING.
EXAMPLE, - - - SAW ONE OF MY DAUGHTERS AS WHEN THREE YEARS OLD COMING IN THE FRONT DOOR, HAPPY AND SMILING, THEN WHEN I AWAKENED AND OPENED MY EYES WAS STILL THERE FOR AN INSTANT BEFORE DASAPPEARING.
HAPPILY FOR ME, LATER IN THE DAY, HERE SHE CAME TO VISIT ME AND BRING SOME FINE HOME COOKED FOOD.
SHE WAS BORN AUGUST 19 IN 1956, STILL LIVING AS ARE THREE OTHER DAUGHTERS AND THREE SONS.
LUCKY ME AT THE AGE OF NINETY. RECOVERING FROM THE STROKE IN OCTOBER OF YEAR 2008 IN OCTOBER.
THANK YOU LORD JESUS. sam

Gerry said...

I was drawn into this story. I wondered what the end was going to be and have not heard of a dream quite like it. My sister LaRae when she was about six would cry in her sleep every night and would have to be woken up and soothed. She also walked in her sleep and I was always nervous for fear she would go sleep walking and not return! But I thought your decision in your dream was probably going to be way you were going to face life. That's why I find this to be an impressive dream.