Sunday, January 31, 2010

STRAY THOUGHTS, STRAY ANIMALS AND STRAY HUMAN BEINGS



Random thoughts sometime come in my mind and stick around for a while… and they have me thinking back through the days of yonder…


Like…when I was a little bitty thing, back on Horseshoe Bend….during the summer mornings, sometimes mama would let us take a quilt outside to lay on the grass . After carefully making sure all the rocks and sticks were cleared away, we would lay that quilt down …and plop down on it…just to gaze up into a magnificent blue sky full of puffy white clouds floating lazily by. We would have such a good time seeing what we could make out of those clouds…faces, animals and such.


If I think hard enough, I can still smell the clover and the green grass beneath that quilt and hear the chickens cackling and the bees buzzing around us…feel the kitten’s soft furry bodies that always seem to be nuzzled up against our cheeks as we drifted off into sleep…lying out there on our quilt.


Those days come back to me frequently…in thoughts and memories…I can very distinctly hear my mama calling….“here chicky chicky, chicky”…as she fed our chickens in the back yard. I can see her now bending to scatter the feed from the old Rex lard can onto the dirt yard near the wooden smokehouse….or see her using that ax to split a huge piece of wood on the stump near the well, to be able to put it into the old potbellied wood heater so we children would be warm in the cold days of winter.


When that heater went out during the night , we were huddled together three to a bed and yet we still shivered from the cold…It galls me now to hear children moan and groan because they do not have their own room…heck, back then we never had our own bed….much less our own room…There was one bedroom where that heater was and we ALL slept there…and guess what….we survived.


We had no running water back in those days…no paint on the old wooden pine walls, nor rugs on the old wooden floors …Yes, we were poor…much poorer even than I am now…My children have never been able to even fathom how we use to live when I was small…they quite simply would not believe me when I tried to tell them how it was back when I lived on Horseshoe Bend.


Maybe that is a good thing…I don’t know…but sometimes, hard times in your life…well…if they don’t kill you…they will surely make you all the stronger for it…more able to stand doing without.


The way the economy is now…and the way people have hardened their hearts to the true poor of this country…there will be a lot more folks doing without.


I just read a quote in Time Magazine from Andre Bauer; lieutenant governor of South Carolina and republican gubernatorial candidate….he said; “My grandmother was not a highly educated woman, but she told me as a small child to quit feeding stray animals . You know why? Because they breed.”


He was criticizing policies that extended welfare benefits to the poor.


I find serious fault with such a biased remark.


Now, first let me make it clear that I do not get welfare benefits…Even when I was out of work for over three months I did not get ANY help from welfare…my niece did, however, buy me some groceries God bless her heart….so no, I am not on welfare…but I do take offense at these words from Mr. Bauer.


I find it hard to believe that anyone could be so callous as to say something such as this. For him to utter those words and not clarify them, is outrageous.


Sure there are many, many people on ‘the system’ that do not deserve to be thereillegal aliens being number one…I feel that if you have not paid into the tax systems here in AMERICA , why in the hell do you think you deserve any of the benefits that those tax pay for??? Become an American citizen and PAY TAX like the rest of us for gosh sake.


But there are some truly needy people…people, that for some reason or the other, do actually need help


Our elderly population that only receive Social Security, and that have no other resources, being number one on the list…so yes it makes me livid to have read this quote from Mr. Bauer.


Oh, and another thing that crossed my mind today…


There wasn’t a stray animal, nor for that matter, a stray human being, that my poor mama didn’t feed or at least try to…and she barely had enough to feed us or herself…


And you know what???


I wouldn’t have wanted her to be any other way.


GOD BLESS YOU MY MAMA FOR BEING SUCH A LOVING AND COMPASSIONATE HUMAN BEING..


GOD BLESS YOU ALL.

10 comments:

Donna said...

Great entry. I feel sorry for people who were NOT poor, growing up. How can they appreciate anything now?

Paula said...

we used to try to sleep on our quilt on one little patch of grass because it was sooo hot in the house. Not one fan let alone a/c. Only one little patch of grass because it was so hot and dry and we wouldn't have dared watered that patch as we paid the neighbor $2.00 a month for water. Daddy wouldn't let us waste it. Good entry Carlene.

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

Having very little for most of my lifetime has made me appreciative of what I do have. I know there are people in this world that only think in terms of money, but thankfully I wasn't brought up that way and like you and a lot of other people we do have compassion for the poor, the sick and the hungry. The world is a better place because of our love for each other and could be even greater if more shared what they have. There is no reason why any person should have to go hungry. I'm about to become one of those persons living on social security. It's a little scary but the alternative is working and I'm getting to the age where doing without is more appealing to me. I don't know what the future will bring, but I do know the good Lord takes care of me one day at a time.

madcobug said...

Great entry Carlene. I have been there also. God bless you. Helen

Myra said...

You just remind us that being human is the best job of all! I can not even imagine how you grew up, but from your stories, you are rich beyond measure!! Your mama saw people not circumstances.

Sheila said...

You may have been poor, but you were richly blessed with the Mama you had, and your Daddy too. Have a great week, Sheila

心痛 said...

困難的不在於新概念,而在於逃避舊有的概念。.........................

Kath said...

Carlene this is a great post and every word is true.The thing is not enough people speak there minds today,either havn't got the bottle or darn't.My Father had 13 in his family and had to bring all of them up from a very young age, he lost his parents very young.He worked in the coal mines,from being 11yrs old to strive for those brothers and sisters,crawling to work some days on his hands and knees he was that ill from ulcer problems and what he could spare he did spare to help others.My Mother too living a similar life when young.He brought us up in the same way.We were just like you POOR, but we were taught to give before recieve,and respect too.I have gone without plenty to help others believe me,but it warms my heart to do so.Todays kids don't know the meaning of being POOR or the word respect.Too many needy go without and too many get handouts they shouldn't be entitled to (another subject I would love to speak out on given the chance in public here in England).Your Mama was THE BEST Carlene and my Mother and Father were too,a differant breed like ourselves.I'd much rather have my home made kite from a bit of old newspaper and my skipping rope made from an old frayed washing line,my little wooden dolly made from an old peg,my makeshift house in the back yard from an old wooden clotheshorse covered with a war grade blanket(he-He)the list is endless but I loved them much more than a computer,like the generation of today carn't do without.Prayers for your Mama and your family always,I love that picture of her,bless her,you and your Mama are the best,and I mean that from the bottom of my heart.Take Care God Bless Kath xx

Sayit-baldys said...

CARLENE, HOPEFULLY AMERICA WILL RECOVER TO THE POINT THAT SENSIBLE PEOPLE WILL BE GOVERNING.

SO MUCH 'DEALMAKING' NOW WITH THE ELITE TO FEATHER THEIR OWN NEST. MANY OF THOSE ARE FROM BOTH POLITICAL PARTIES AND WILL BE BACK BEFORE THIS FALL'S VOTE IN NOVEMBER TO REMIND US OF HOW GREAT THEY HAVE BEEN FOR US.

BEFORE I VOTE, MUST KNOW THE TRACK RECORD OF THE CANDIDATE.
HOW DO THEY REGARD CHRISTIANITY ? MARRIAGE? OUR MILITARY ? HOME ETHICS ?

WE CERTAINLY NEED TO GET ON THE RIGHT PATH SOON. sam

Barb said...

Carlene, so love to read your journal. I always leave feeling better than when I came. Deleted my other journal but invite you to my latest one "Let's Chat."