Sunday, September 27, 2009

LITTLE ORPHAN ANNIE

This has been a lazy Sunday. I did wash my bed cover and a few loads of clothes and fed all the pets…cooked breakfast and supper, but that’s about it.

We have had heavy rain here for days and days. Today was the first day in a long time that the sun was out all day.Thank you God. I should have cut the grass but it was still soggy out back. I also  had  a bad headache and felt sort of jittery all day…so I am hoping to get it done tomorrow or the next day.

Desperate Housewives is coming on tonight…I can’t wait to see how it begins this season.

Amanda still hasn’t settled on a name for the new little baby! I have told her I am going to call him “baby X” !  She is leaning  toward Weston…but who knows…it could change tomorrow.  (THANK YOU ALL FOR SOME GREAT SUGGESTIONS!) A few of you even suggested Weston!!!

Some of the names she has come up with, well let’s just say, I do not care for them…but then again, I didn’t think I liked the name ‘Wyatt’, but now that he is actually here, I realize that the name fits him so well and I can not imagine him with any other name! God, I love my little grandson and I can not wait to be able to hold the new one!!! Please pray that all goes well with her and this new baby.

 0916091218

This is Wyatt petting Annie. He loves Annie so much. and she is so gentle around him. Wyatt will toddle over and look out my kitchen window every time he comes over, just to see if he can see her out back and call her, saying, “ Annieeeee” lol

We got Annie one day when Amanda was about 14 or so…Guess that means she is hitting 14 herself now. She was at a flea market… still a young pup, with a man who had her for sale. He didn’t sell her and was heading home, so he went to put Annie in a cage. Bless her heart, she got away, and ran like a striped ape to under his truck.

This idiot got in the truck and revved the motor up and was screaming like a maniac for her to come out…Well, she did  and then ran like hell away from him again…He started yelling and turned and saw Amanda and some other little boy that was standing there watching him act like a fool. He told them”which ever one of you catches that dog can have her, I am leaving”.

Gosh, I hate to say it, but I was so hoping that little boy would catch her first!!! But, oh no…Amanda wasn’t going to let that boy beat her to a puppy…oh no…not my child…She dived at Annie and caught her first! After some hard begging and  pleading and, “Mama, I will tend to her, you won’t have to do anything”; (famous words, huh? ) Annie was soon in our Van and headed back home with us. She was starved half to death and filthy…She ate and lapped water like there was no tomorrow all the way home.

I  named her “Little Orphan Annie” and after a while, we shortened it to just “Annie”.  Let me tell you…she has been one of the best dogs we ever had. Very very smart. When Amanda got married, she left Annie with me and I didn’t mind, because I loved her.

She is old and almost totally blind and deaf now. I use to love to see her run…she could run like the wind…She can’t run very well anymore, her legs are too stiff. She can’t  find her way back home alone and I am so afraid she won’t come back one day, so now  I walk her every day.

It is so sad to see how she has aged…

But she is happy

She is loved and well cared for and she knows it….

And after all….

Being loved and cared for is what really matters most to all of us, isn’t it?

GOD BLESS YOU ALL.

15 comments:

ADB said...

Well done in taking care of Annie. It's sad to see a loved animal grow old - but she is loved, and that was more than was the case before you got her.

madcobug said...

If she was in such a bad shape that man should have known that no one would buy her, unless they felt sorry for her. Good for you bringing her home, Wyatt looks so cute petting her. You can see his right hand is in motion.
Have a nice day. Hugs, Helen

Cindi said...

what a wonderful story...thx for sharing
xoxoxox

Indigo said...

Loved the story of Annie! Some things are just meant to be. (Hugs)Indigo

Sayit-baldys said...

CARLENE, THANKS FOR THIS CARING ENTRY.
I REMEMBER WATCHING OUR DOG 'TRIXIE' GET OLD.
TRIXIE DIED THE DAY BEFORE I LEFT TO JOIN THE ARMED SERVICES IN WORLD WAR 2.
I BURIED HER AT SUNDOWN THE DAY BEFORE LEAVING HOME.
A LOVING MOTHER DOG. SO MANY MEMORIES. SHE WAS ABOUT TWELVE YEARS OLD.

ONE OCCASION, TRIXIE HAD CAME WITH DAD AND I TO THE GRAPE VINYARD WHERE WE WERE WORKING.

TRIXIE WENT TO SLEEP UNDER THE WAGON.
A NEIGHBORING FARMER CAME TO SHOW US HIS BIG BULLDOG, AQUIRED TO PREVENT MORE THEFT AROUND HIS HOME.
TRIXIE WOKE UP AND LUNGED FOR AND GRABBED A HIND LEG OF THAT BULLDOG AND WAS KNOCKED LOOSE WHEN THE BULLDOG MADE IT THROUGH THE BARBED WIRE FENCE AND TRIXIE COULD NOT CATCH UP.

THE NEIGHBOR STOOD THERE SHAKING HIS HEAD IN DISGUST TO SEE A FOX TERRIER FEMALE PUTTING THE RUN ON HIS NEW BULLDOG. sam

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

I love your story of Annie and what a blessing you have been to her. No wonder she's been a good dog. She's probably so thankful your daughter took her home that day. It is sad to see our pets get old I've lost several senior citizens over the years. Love is the best think we can do.

Gerry said...

I came over when I saw the headline of your entry as I used to recite Little Orphan Annie to my kids when they were growing up. My oldest son learned this poem and could say it when he was 4 years old. I think that was a fitting name for a pet that came to you in a sad way but who gave long years of service as a beloved family dog All's well that ends well! I am sure she would say she has lived a very happy and fulfilling life with you guys, with little Wyatt come to love her, too! Gerry

Anonymous said...

thank God you were there to get Annie. She probably would have had a terrible life. I like the name Wyatt and Weston. Some people like to give all their kids the same first initial. I would get confused if i did that. Like my grandma, i'd go down the list till i hit the right name. My grandma would start the list and whatever the last name was she yelled out was the name you were for that moment. LOL

i hope you are not jittery now. Glad you had a calm Sunday. You need lots more of them. It has rained here with awful wind for days. Blah.
LOVE YOU!!!
lisa

Barbara said...

I really enjoyed the simplicity of this post. The every day life of it. Feel like I sat down and shared a cup of coffee with you and caught up. ;o)

Anonymous said...

CARLENE, ANOTHER COMMENT TO YOU TODAY.

MY COMPUTER CANNOT RECEIVE NOR SEND E-MAIL.

THE MAIL PAGE WILL NOT COME ON.

I HAD TO USE ANONYMOUS TO GET THE COMMENT TO GO THROUGH. HOPEFULLY IT WILL THIS TIME.

THE 'GOOGLE' CONNECTION SEEMS TO BE WHAT HAS BEEN CUT OFF.

I WILL HAVE MY DAUGHTER HELP ME TO CANCEL THE INTERNET. I JUST DO NOT FEEL LIKE DEALING WITH THIS .
BEST WISHES TO YOU ALL. WILL YOU PLEASE TELL HELEN, PAULA, KATH, AND OTHERS OF THIS ?

the comment will not send wnen using my blog address so am using anonymous. bye, sam

Barb said...

Precious story. I just now relocated your journal. Missed you a lot. I always think of you and your Danny..and pray for you daily. Hope you remember me. I used to write "Hey Let's Talk" That is gone but please visit me
at http://barb-letschat.blogspot.com
Love you much.

Kathy said...

Oh, I love your Annie story. Yes, we all need to be loved and feel cared for.

Donna said...

Great entry. It's great that your dog, in spite of age, still can give and receive love and enjoy life.

Judy said...

Hi, I haven't been to my journal in months. When I finished with my entry today I came over for a visit to see how life has been treating you. I love the pic of Wyatt and Annie. Annie is the name of the Welsh horse too that Tommy left me a few weeks before he was killed. She is the only animal left from the ranch now. Everything has been sold. I keep her in my yard. I'm happy to hear you are going to be a grandmother again and just think you and Danny thought you were never going to have even one. It's very good to catch up on your journal. I hope you have a wonderful fall season. Love Judy

CINDY said...

my rebecca wants a beagle puppy. after we move she will get one. i got pics for an entry tonight.
(((hugs)))