Wednesday, August 19, 2009

ANOTHER YEAR OLDER…

                        GOODMORNING

So..here it is ….another year that I have been upon this earth, and though I have climbed up  many slippery mountains and been down to the very valley of defeat and despair, I am still grateful to be here God…and I Thank You.

I think back to how hard it must have been for my mama to carry me during the hottest of summer months down here in Georgia. Now, I had Dan in August so I know how hot you get. Pregnancy can be a strain on any woman, but she had to do it with no running water….no air-conditioning…only a little bitty fan that osculated a little air around in a very tiny space….Heck, come to think of it, I’m not even sure she had that fan, which is the only one we had as a child. Back when she was pregnant with me, there may not have been any fan. God bless my mama for all the hard times and struggles that she went through trying to raise all us six children in those days. I am totally sure we have not yet made up for even a tiny fraction of her pain and misery.

Sunday evening we had a very hard down pour of rain and a very bad thunderstorm which lasted on into the night. Monday morning, I awoke to find all my tomato vines, still in their pots, laying over on the ground. My tomato vines were slap full of tomatoes and I lost 99% of them. I picked up over 90 green tomatoes from the ground:

0817090922

The vines were all broken apart…

This is the way they use to look:

0630091651

and this is how they look now….after me and Dan cleaned them up; saving what we could.

0819090735

As you can see, I also lost one whole pot. Made me want to cry. I was so proud of my tomatoes…maybe too proud…They say “Pride goeth  before a fall”, don’t they? Well, they sure fell.

I brought all the green tomatoes into the house and washed them up. Then I started slicing them. Amanda fried a few for us for breakfast and they were so good.  Yes…breakfast!!! lol

0817091058

Thank goodness I remembered that I found out that you could freeze them…so I froze the rest of the slices in ziplock freezer bags. Needless to say, I had a lot of bags to put into  my freezer. We won’t be giving out anytime soon.

Amanda  and Kelvin gave me and Dan a surprise birthday party Sunday afternoon. Dan’s birthday was August 16th and mine is today, so she combined them into one big party. We have family, Jady and David,  with birthdays in August  and they were included also. Kelvin cooked pork chops on the grill and Amanda fixed some awesome baked beans and potato salad…Some of mine and Dan’s favorite foods. Oh…and she made boiled peanuts for Dan!!! He was so happy! She did good and I am proud of both her and Kelvin for showing us how much they love us. I wish I had thought to get some pictures.

Here is a picture of my newest little grandson-to-be…

0812091720

He is due on Dec 28, 2009. That is also Amanda’s ( his mommy’s) birthday and my mama’s birthday..how awesome is that????  They may take him earlier though since she will have to have a c-section..but just knowing his due date is on their birthdays is very special. That would be three generations on one day.

Here are some pictures of my first little grandson…who has his grandma wrapped around his little fingers and toes…

0810091448

Sucking a sucker a very special friend sent to him!

0810091453

He won’t let go of his sucker long enough to play! lol

0814092023

With his Uncle Dan…look at that pout! lol

0817091603

Watching the doggies…

0818091631

On a riding toy grandma got for him yesterday! He got right on it as soon as he saw it!  He loves riding toys! He is walking good now and is climbing onto everything like a little monkey!  Needless to say, he is getting lots of knots on his little head.  He busted his lip Monday trying to climb onto the chair top! TRUST ME…HE IS ALL BOY!!!

I went to Good-Will  yesterday while in Athens, and look what I found for just $1.61 ….it was so cute that I couldn’t pass it up. I see where it takes batteries in the pumpkin, so I will be going to get some today.

0818092056b

Well, I have got to go see my mama today, so I best be getting up from here and getting ready….

Take care my friends….

        &

GOD BLESS YOU ALL.

17 comments:

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

A very Happy Birthday to you! I hope you enjoy your special day. It was nice you got to celebrate with family. It's nice to be spoiled by them now and then. I always enjoy someone else's cooking. Being with your mama on your birthday is special.

Lisa said...

Happy birthday!!!! It sounds like you enjoyed your birthday celebration. That would be so neat if the new baby was born on the same day as Amanda and your mom. Sorry to see you lost your tomatoes - such a shame.
xxx

madcobug said...

Glad that you and Dan enjoyed your Birthday celebration. Happy Birthday to both of you. Wouldn't it be something with three generations with the same birthday. So sorry about your tomatoes. I had a hail storm destroy some huge tomatoes once. Not even any left to fry with big holes all in them and the stems were stripped bare of leaves. Pitiful looking bunch of tomatoes. Never had any that pretty again.
God bless and be with you and your family Carlene. Hugs and love, Helen

Dawn said...

Happy Birthday! Another boy! I had 2 boys then my sweet daughter! Wyatt is getting so big! Enjoy the rest of the summer and your tomatoes!

be well...

Nelishia said...

A Wonderful happy birthday to you!

Sayit-baldys said...

CARLENE, WHAT A WONDERFUL ENTRY.
ONE OF THE THINGS THAT MAKES IT SO, ONE OF THE BIRTHDATES OF MY FOUR DAUGHTERS IS AUGUST 19 , WHAT A HAPPY DAY IT WAS AUGUST 19, 1956, THAT BEAUTIFUL DARLING BABY AND NOW ALL THESE YEARS LATER SHE IS GIVING ME SPECIAL CARE AFTER MY STROKE LAST OCTOBER.

LOOKS LIKE WYATT IS DOING FINE. HE WILL BE HARD TO KEEP UP WITH SOON. sam

Lynne said...

A belated happy birthday to you Carlene!

Congrats to Amanda and her family on the new young one coming in Dec! That is neat he is due on the shared birthday!

Pat said...

Happy Birthday to you and Dan!! I'm glad you had a great meal with your family.
Hugs,
Pat

Paula said...

Hope you got my birthday e-mail. I wasn't sure if it went or not. I saw your name in my birthday book. Many many more to you and Dan.

Ally Lifewithally said...

Happy Birthday to you and Happy belated birthday to Dan ~ hope you have a very special day ~ Loved the photographs they are lovely ~ Ally x

Missie said...

Happy Birthday!

Sandra said...

Hi Carlene, Don`t worry about the tomatoes, theres so much you can do with them. I`ve got so many that despite giving lots away I still have far too many. I decided I`d make tomato chutney and some soups. I`m also growing chillies and peppers so hopefully I can have a real feast with them all. Thanks for the photos of your to-be grandchild, its such an exciting time isn`t it? Its so nice to have TWO grandchildre, even better than having one...lol! :o)

Love and Hugs

Sandra xxxx

Sandra said...

PS: A very Happy Birthday! :o)

Love Sandra xxxx

kanishk said...

Happy birthday!!!! It sounds like you enjoyed your birthday celebration. That would be so neat if the new baby was born on the same day as Amanda and your mom.
How to make a website

JOHN said...

Happy Birthday to you and to Dan. Sorry to hear about your tomatoes,Have a good week,Stio by when you can
JOHN

Gerry said...

Good to read about you again, Carlene, and I always know I will get to see some cute photos of little Wyatt. Glad you had a good family birthday. I am wishing your daughter the best with her pregnancy. Gerry

CINDY said...

A very Happy Birthday to both you and Dan. Awwwww another grandson on the way, that is so awesome. Hmmmmmm is grandma spoiling Wyatt with riding toys, lol.
Love ya,
Cindy xoxoxo