Sunday, May 10, 2009

MY MAMA

             mlindsey

One of the first  words ever spoken from a baby’s lips… M A M A

Such a simple name….but when ever uttered, means so much…and never fails to brings back so many childhood memories…

Daddy may have been this  little girl’s first love….but her mama was the one that was always there.

                             FAMILY 068

She  is the one that held my hand when I was scared to walk into school for that first day…and would sometimes hold my hand up to hers and said, “look at our hands together…” 

I always knew that hers were the biggest, and the strongest…but it would be  years later before I realized  the love and the strength those hands never failed to showed me.

Mamas have a hard life sometimes…Lord knows mine did…

She spent all the years of her life doing without … so that others could have.

                   FAMILY 077

The house we lived in had not a drop of  paint on the old pine board walls…had no rugs on the old wooden floors…had no bathroom…no running water…no curtains…no pretty bedspreads….no pretty pictures on the walls…We had an old tin  bucket for our water and an old wooden table to sit at…we didn’t even have chairs for our table…we little children sat on tall fruit baskets…

                    mama1112063

I remember looking out the window at my mama, who was outside chopping wood with an old ax in the dead of winter…an old wool scarf tied around her head and wearing an even older threadbare coat in an attempt to keep the cold away from her body…and how when she came in, her face would be all flushed red from the frigid  air and how her eyebrows would have ice crystals in them…but Never complaining…as she carefully loaded the wood into the old pot bellied stove…to get her children warm.

                   0212091409a

Oh…Mama…my mama….

Your love warmed this little child of yours in so many more ways than that….

I can not begin to count the ways that you loved mestood by mestood up for me….comforted me….fed me….and yes, even saved me….from myself.

It has taken me too many years to realize….

That  it is YOU who helped me learn the true meaning of loving a child…..

Of being a Mama.

GOD BLESS YOU ‘MY MAMA’.

10 comments:

madcobug said...

Very good tribute to your Mama Carlene. That one made me think a lot about mine, made my eyes tear up. Happy Mother's day to you and to your Mom and to you Daughter. Lovya, Helen

Terri said...

Beautiful Tribute to your mama!

Brought tears to my eyes..

Happy Mothers Day to you Carlene, your mama and your daughter!

Hugs
Terri

Grammy said...

Your Mama reminds me of my mama, who passed away at age 48, many years ago. I still miss her. Happy Mama's Day to you Carlene. I wish many more for you and your mama!

baldy said...

DEAR OLD SWEET MOTHER,
CARLENE YOU DAID IT ALL AND SO NICELY.
SO MANY NICE THINGS TO REMEMBER. SO MANY SACRIFICES FOR THE CHILDREN.
WORKING WHEN SHE SHOULD HAVE BEEN RESTING.
MINE IS UP THERE IN THE COMPANY OF JESUS PATIENTLY WAITING. sam

Lynne said...

A lovely tribute to your Mother! She sounded so special! God Bless!

Lisa said...

i am so glad you have such a wonderful mom.....and love reading this entry about her....she loves you so and your love for her makes others feel better. XO

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

That was a wonderful entry. I hope your Mother's Day was a great one.

Jeannette said...

What a wonderful tribute to your dear mother

Arlene (AJ) said...

Such a heartfelt and very touching tribute to your Mom, Carlene. Sure touched my heart. Hope you had a beautiful, blessed Mother's Day also.

Gerry said...

Your mother really did have a magical spirit of loving her children and proves that mothers without can stiill be so generous that their children always feel loved and cherished no matter how poor. I was often a poor mother, as my play Prince from Saturn reflects, and had to go on welfare just to feed my younger children and keep a roof over their heads, which they sometimes did not understand then, but they understood it later, as children do. They understand the true facts of life eventually and that makes all the efforts we make for our kids worth it. Gerry