Tuesday, April 28, 2009

TEETHING PAINS AND TOMATOES

             DsDesignsAprilShowersCow

Nope, we have not had many April showers in the last week or so…We have been having summertime weather for the last week. Hot and sunny! Day time temperatures have been in the high 80’s and mid 90’s…It is 72 now at 10:00pm…last week it was 84* at night. Gracious, I just now stopped using the heater! Won’t be long and  I will have to use the air conditioner….I am trying to hold out till the last minute though.

I finally washed my car this past Sunday. It took me a while, but I did it…and afterwards I took it to the car wash and vacuumed it out. It looks so much better…but my arm and hand (that I broke)  was throbbing all Sunday night. Monday morning, when I got up, I was so sore!  This getting old is for the birds…but then again… it beats the alternative, doesn’t it?

    FAMILY 099

A picture of me, Mama, Amanda and Wyatt taken months ago.

I went by and got Dorris  and I went to see my Mama Monday.  She was doing good physically…She was having a problem remembering certain things…She kept asking me had we checked on her Mama and even asked had anyone heard from her Grandma…This part of the visit nearly kills me. She was complaining that her hands were cold and it was rather warm in her room…but when I felt of them, they were like ice. I got  her to put her hands in a basin of warm soapy water and I washed them and let them soak a little while.  As I gently rubbed her tiny frail hands, I thought of how they use to be so strong when I was small…these were the very hands that could wring a chicken’s neck so we could have something to eat…and chop wood to keep us warm…and it took all I had in me not to cry. Afterwards,  I clipped her nails for her and she told me they sure felt better.

               0414092023

Wyatt came over with his mommy today. He is having such a hard time with the teething here lately. His little gums were hurting so bad today. He still does not have a tooth in his head yet, but I don’t believe it will be long now…his gums are turning whitish looking and he is gnawing on everything. Anybody have any old home remedies???

When my son Dan was a tiny tot, he had trouble cutting his teeth. When he turned around 5-6 months old, we went to see Danny’s great-grandma. She noticed  how much pain Dan was having and told me to get Danny’s shoe and cut a round circle the size of a dime from a piece of leather on the shoe. She then told me to punch a hole through the middle of it and put a cotton cord through the hole. She told me to make it long enough to go around Dan's little neck and knot it…then drop it down the front of his little tee shirt, so he wouldn’t notice it. She said that this was an old wives' tale. I didn’t really believe it, but I was desperate, so I did it.

Do you know…Dan cut his first two teeth within a few days and after that he was getting three at a time in! Now whether it was just a coincidence or not, I don’t know…but Dan was happy and his mama was too! lol  No, I won’t be doing that to Wyatt…He is much older than Dan was and can crawl and stand…He is like a little monkey climbing on everything…He would surely get the cord caught on something and be choked…so no! 

                            bathtime

Back then, many, many years ago….We use to put the baby’s pacifiers on cords too, so they wouldn’t lose them.…but you don't do that now…Now days, they have those little snap on things that snap on the front of their shirts. 

They also have VELCRO  on their little shoes instead of laces. Why, oh why, couldn’t they have had that when I tried for years to teach little Dan how to tie his shoes??? Have you ever tried to teach a left handed child anything when you yourself are right handed??? lol

                 snail2

Here is a another example of an old wives’ tale…Dan had hives when he was a little bitty baby, so I went to see  a tiny 90-plus year old black lady I knew; Aunt Julie. She told me to go get some of her catnip. She grew it in her back yard and was very generous with it to anyone who had a ‘hivey baby’! She told me how to boil it to make a weak tea and then told me to give him a teaspoon of it once a day and I did…The hives disappeared in just a couple of days.

                     0603071110

                              Tomatoes from 2007

I finally got my tomatoes planted with Dan’s help! I don’t know what I would have done without him today. He shoveled the dirt and carried the heavy stuff for me. I think I stayed out in the sun too long , cause I got real sick and shaky after we were though planting and still don’t feel too good. (The medicine I take doesn’t go well with heat and sun and it was really hot today.)

                       turtle

At first I only had two tomato plants, but I bought three more…so I planted five plants total. I planted two Better Boys, one Parks Whopper and and two German Queens. I planted them in huge pots again this year…so I am hoping they do okay. I love a fresh sliced tomato for supper. They are sooooo good with fresh cut corn! I also love fried green tomatoes….mmmm-mmmm.

Well that is it enough for tonight…Thank you my friends…for coming here to check on me!

GOD BLESS YOU ALL.

13 comments:

Donna said...

I have to be careful about getting too hot out in the sun too, and I don't take any meds. Just part of my getting older, I guess. Sunday I started feeling queasy when I was working in the yard, and sat down right where I was till I felt better.

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

Getting older is not easy for sure. I look around at all I have to do and just slowly chip away at it. Sometimes I'd just like to cry. When I was young and didn't need the help I had lots of it. Now I'm older and need help and there is no one around. Funny how it all works out. My babes used to love to chew on those teething biscuits when they were teething. I don't know if they still make them or not. They were messy but I'd put them in their high chair with a bib on and they were happy!
Take care! 'On Ya'-ma

madcobug said...

I hope you are feeling much better by now. We are going to see about my daughter tomorrow and taking two five gallons buckets of soil and will plant her two tomato plants.Ken drilled sever small holes in the bottom for drainage. He will also take her to get that other MRi and I will stay at her house while they are gone. Glad that you went to see your Mama. Good idea to warm her hands.
When both my children were cutting teeth my MIL told me to take the handle of a table knife. They were stainless steel and run them on thier gums. They loved it and would rub their gums on it sometimes themselves while I held the knife. Sure enough those teeth came right on through.I hope Wyatt's come on in soon. Nothing like a freatful baby. Hugs, Helen

beachmom15 said...

I know that the plastic teething rings were great frozen.. I would freeze them, then rinse them and got them wet, then gave them to my kids to chew on... they loved them...
Lisa (lisita15)
http://beachmom15.blogspot.com/

Lisa said...

I do love fresh tomatoes and corn also!! We have some cherry and grape ones planted too this year and I am so excited about it. I bought some corn on the cob this week and cannot wait to try it. Enjoyed the old wives' tales. Yes everything is made with a snap on thing nowdays instead of with cords for baby safety. Much hugs to you and prayers for Wyatt to have very little teething pain.
Lisa in KY

Paula said...

Like your pretty new home. Hope Wyatt cuts those teeth soon so he feels better. I remember those days. No different hints that what have alredy been said here. Glad you helped your sweet mama feel better.

Lisa said...

i predict you will have enough tomatoes to feed half your county in a few months.....i love hearing the old wives tales.....my grandma had many of them too....funny how kids nowadays have things we did not and how SOMEHOW we lived thru all kinds of things that the "experts" say will kill everyone now. Hmm.
I hope Wyatt, such a cutie, gets his teeth soon..i bet he gets in lots at a time..my youngest did not have any teeth and we would tease her and say she would need baby dentures and the day she turned 10 and a half months old she got two that day. I always let my kids suck on popsicles.
XO

baldy said...

CARLENE YOU ARE A JEWEL.
BABY TEETH - - HERE IS WHAT WORKED FOR MY WIFE MARY JANE AND I.
FRESHLY CLIP YOUR OWN THUMB NAIL TO HAVE AN EDGE ON THE NAIL. CANNOT REMEMBER IF WE WASHED OUR HANDS. OF COURSE THE MODERN EXPERTS WOULD SAY ALWAYS WASH HANDS.
WHEN THAT LITTLE WHITE BLISTER FORMS OVER THE COMING TOOTH, RAKE THAT FRESH TRIMMED THUMB NAIT BACKWARDS ACROSS THE BLISTER, OF COURSE HOLDING THE THUMB NAIL AGAINST THE TOOTH WHILE RAKING IT ACROSS AND COULD USUALLY HEAR THE BLISTER BREAK.
THEN CAME THE PLEASANT COOING OF THE BABY AND WE KNEW THAT PRESSURE ON BABY'S GUM HAD BEEN RELIEVED.
WYATT WILL LET YOU KNOW HE IS HAPPY AFTER THAT WHITE BLISTER IS BUSTED. sam

Gerry said...

There is nothing better to my mind than vine ripened tomatoes and I can get them across the street to the Farmer's Market every Saturday, so I do. What flavor. Corn on the cob and tomatoes are my favorite summer vegetables. Enjoyed your entry as usual and all the old wives' remedies for stuff. Interesting! Gerry

Missie said...

A few tricks for Wyatt's teething if you haven't tried them already.

Frozen ice pops! They love the flavor, plus it numbs the gums.

Also, frozen soft pretzels. I know, sounds yucky, but they love em, they can chew on the frozen pretzel forever and it also numbs their gums.

Both worked for my two. Hope this helps.

Enjoy your weekend and rest that arm!

Sandra said...

Hi Carlene, I wish I could help with the teething issue, I would have tried anything when Kerry was a baby. A friend who was a nurse gave me some gel I`d never heard of and it worked straight away. I wish I could remember what its called. I`ve been planting tomatoes too and my back is really sore from all the bending and digging. Oh well, I can`t wait until they bear fruit. :o)

Hugs

Sandra xxxx

patsy said...

Hello! it took me awhile to get my old brain working you have been a puzzle to me since you started reading my blog and your photo wouldn't take me to you blog but I google you and found you. Have a good day!

The 4th Sister said...

my sister Patsy sent me here...