Friday, April 3, 2009

HEART STRINGS

               DsDesignsAprilShowersCow

It is  officially springtime  in the south . The rain has brought everything budding out. Where just a few short weeks ago, everything looked withered and dead, there is now new life. The dogwood and Bradford pear trees are both blooming…right along with the azaleas and daffodils .

Each time I see a dogwood tree, I think about my daddy.  If you have seen dogwood trees growing in the wild, then you know how hard it is to find a straight one….Well, daddy found two of them out on Horseshoe Bend and when he moved our family to town, he planted them in our front yard.

Daddy loved and nurtured those trees like they were his babies… and in return  they grew into real beauties.  Every spring, right before Easter, the little ivory petals would burst open…

                 dogwoodsa

It is said in the Legend of the dogwood Tree;

“ its blossoms shall be in the form of a cross---two long and two short petals. And in the center of the outer edge of each petal there will be nail prints, brown with rust and stained with red, and in the center of the flower will be a crown of thorns, and all who see it will remember."

In 1985, those trees were the most beautiful I had ever seen them..So many ivory blossoms that when the sun hit them, it would nearly blind you. All the neighborhood talked of how beautiful they were that year…

And my daddy was dying.

He had fought emphysema for years, and he was losing the battle.  Each day that he was able to sit up, and move a little bit, Danny would help him to the front porch, so that he could see those trees.

They would sit out there, rocking in the old rockers and talking of their past fishing and hunting trips, while daddy admired the trees he loved so much.

My daddy loved Danny as his own son…and it was no wonder…Danny never showed him anything but LOVE and RESPECT.

Later, when the dogwood blossoms finally began to wither and fall to the ground,there were so many that it looked like it had snowed in our little front yard…

And Daddy was no longer able to leave his bed.

In July of that year, God called my daddy home. It killed me to lose him…cause I thought my daddy walked on water…but somewhere  deep in my heart, I knew that he was was far better off because he was no longer suffering.

One month later Daddy’s dogwood trees died…

Both of them….

All of a sudden and with no warning…

they were dead

So dead that ( and I can still see  it as if it was yesterday ) Danny was able to literally push them both over… using only his two hands.

There has been only one other man who held my heart and soul like my daddy did…

and that was Danny

I am comforted by knowing

That when my Danny left this world…

My daddy that was there

to help show him the way Home…

I am comforted by knowing

That the two men that I loved most…

Can now see all the beautiful dogwood trees….

all the beautiful flowers….

And

All the Glories of God

Even those that we mere mortals have yet to see.

GOD BLESS YOU ALL

9 comments:

Donna said...

What a touching, wonderful entry.

I just told Cliff today, "I'd love to have a dogwood tree."

Danged if I don't think I'll get one; and every time I look at it, I'll remember this story about your daddy and your Danny.

madcobug said...

A beautiful entry Carlene. I suppose you know that the Bible also says there will never be another dogwood tree large or straight enough to make another cross out of. I can't remember the scripture it is in though. The dogwood and other trees are beautiful this year but they are calling for freezing temps here Tues morning I believe it is. Hugs, Helen

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

Your touching story of the Dogwood is just beautiful. You have some wonderful memories of your father and your husband. They are treasures to hold in your heart.

Lynne said...

Lovely entry Carlene, very touching story on your father and his trees. What treasures!

FrankandMary said...

Lucky for me I like the crooked Dogwoods as well as the straight since there are so many of the former. These are lovely(and sad) memories or your Dad. With Danny and your Dad, you had the benefit of such wonderful men touching your life....~Mary

Paula said...

Bet your Daddy and your Danny are up there looking down watching over you Carlene.

Ally Lifewithally said...

Carlene I am sure your Daddy and Danny are watching over you ~ and they took those Dogwwod trees and planted them in the heavenly garden so they could continue to care for them ~ Ally x

Kath said...

Beautiful posting Carlene.God works in mysterious ways Carlene.Those trees belonged to your Daddy so they went with him.Love your past stories wonderful memories you have of wonderful people.Have alovely weekend Take Care God Bless Kath xx

JShav123 said...

Wow, Carlene. Beautiful post. I'm crying now. Sending you strength and hugs as always. I'm so proud of you..and your daddy and your Danny are too.