Saturday, March 14, 2009

A DOSE OF MAMA’S MEDICINE

        stpatty3

I kept wondering why we sold so much stew and meat this week. We are usually slow in the first few months of the year.

It wasn’t until this evening that I was told that it is St. Patrick’s Day weekend! I had forgotten about it.

Guess everyone around here is having BBQ and stew instead of corned  beef and cabbage. We sold so many gallons of stew that we ran out of gallon jars…and we had a lot of them this morning when I got there.

You know….I work in the public and I get to see a lot of people. After a while , when you work in the public…you get to noticing certain patterns forming.

The one that had caught my attention here lately is the fact that some young people, ones in their twenties say….do not show much respect to their elders.

Now, if you have read my journal much, then you know that I was raised poor as dirt, but that didn’t mean that my mama didn’t  teach me manners or let me know how to act in public.

Why, if she ever even heard that I disrespected any elders

Well, I would have  gotten my head knocked slap off my shoulders.

          0313091730

                          Wyatt and Milo

When I was coming up…you knew not to sass , nor talk back to someone older than yourself.

You knew to keep your lip buttoned ; unless you needed  to say ‘yes mam’ , ‘no mam’ or ‘thank you mam’.

You certainly did not talk down to, nor make little nasty remarks toward someone old enough to be your mama.

It is called  R-E-S-P-E-C-T ….

And I am so glad my mama taught me the word and the meaning.

Don’t get me wrong…I am not saying all young people act this way…I see a lot of them who know their manners and know to respect others.

But I swear…

Sometimes I wish I could just give one of these little smarty pants something their parents neglected to give them…

A  dose  of  my  mama’s  medicine!

GOD BLESS YOU ALL.

11 comments:

madcobug said...

Carlene the school teachers have to put up with a lot of disrespect also. In my day we would have caught it from our parents if we smart mouthed a teacher. Now a teacher gets asked "what did you do to provoke my child"?
Cute picture of Wyatt and the kitty. Have a good Sunday. It is still raining here from a couple of days back. Hugs, Helen

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

I've noticed that too. Many don't even respect their own parents. Somewhere that part of their education got neglected. There are still some good ones though as you said. We have to be thankful for that. It shows how they were brought up as you can't learn that in school. Parents are always the first teachers and sometimes they are too busy.
I hope your Sunday is a great one!
'On Ya'-ma

Kath said...

Some parents don't know the meaning themselves Carlene.Makes my blood boil it does.Especially when I go shopping and they give the change from my purchase and bang it down on the counter.No wrapping of it no please no thankyou,and look at you as if you are stupid when you ask if they have any manners.They don't even know what the word MANNERS means let alone how to pu them to good use.(CLOUT)and a hard one round the earole is what we would have gotton (OUCH)!!Heeeeeeeeeeeee.Stiil I am happy to say My Parents didn't have to clip my ear,and like you we were poor as crows is what we say too LOL.Hope you are feeling a little better.The stew must be good Mmmmmm sounds it to me.Take Care God Bless Kath xx

Indigo said...

I've noticed the same thing with the younger generation. They tend to have an impersonal attitude toward everything and everyone. Rarely do you hear a "Thank you" or a "You're Welcome" from anyone. The funny thing is I'm Deaf and can't hear myself, yet I make the effort to be courteous toward others. I never fail to say "Thank You". It's laziness in my opinion not to. Your in my thoughts dear friend. I loved the picture of Milo and Wyatt! (Hugs)Indigo

Myra said...

It is because their parents didn't know better either! That middle generation raised their kids by being their "friend" instead of the parent. Look where it has gotten us, and how do we teach adults not to act like morons, so their children don't either! Its a sad state where this country is going.

Arlene (AJ) said...

I agree with what Myra said,I've been saying that for some time...parents are being friends to their kids versus being a parent....you end up with kids (thankfully not all) who have no respect or manners to their parents or anyone else. Sad indeed.

Lisa said...

I have noticed this too about the younger generation of today. It's so very frustrating. Not only are some of them missing manners but also morals. For instance just this weekend Aaron's new bike from Christimas has been stolen right out of our driveway up close to the garage. Very frustrating indeed. And it starts with respect... which is the beginning of understanding also that one should respect not only other people but their property. Many young people these days do not have this quality nor desire to have it. This is why I am so hard on my own children and give them much responsibility at home. I hope I am giving them some backbone and character.
Lisa

Paula said...

Yep a lot of us had a mama who could give out a dose. This was a good respectful entry. When I buy something at a store I find myself being the one to say "thank you" when really the young clerk should say it first.

ggal2933 said...

I don't get it either and it's not going to get any better!

Hugs,
Gretchen

Jady said...

Hey Aunt Lene, First of all glad you are well can't believe you didn't tell no one, I understand the reasoning but AUNT LENE, young lady. Second of all I can say that I am in my early 30's and you will not never catch my elders no matter if they are my kin or not. I am still terrified of what my mama or Aunt Lene will do to me. I also can tell you that I may be a friend to my children they can come to me for anything and they do, but first and foremost I am their mother. It is my job to show them how not only to treat people but to show other people how they would like to be treated. My youngest had to learn a hard leason Friday on manners and dissrespect of his teacher. I never second guessed her sbility to teach or what she may have done to provoke him. She called me the next day and told me he was like a new child. My husband works for the YDC and you will not believe the parents that come in there, who themselves can't show respect. They get packets of what they can wear and not wear, bring and not bring, and yet every week at visitation these grown adults (loosely speaking) show all the intelliegence of a 2 yr. old. Whining, screaming and trying to over talk you so they can get there way. One thing to think on, there is a lady who is suing the State of Ga. because her son didn't get the education that the state said he would recieve in custody. He got out and at the age of 16/17 had the vocalubary and reading skills of a 3rd grader. This child was a main ring leader. He would start fights, or other nuisances so he could go to the Detention Unit and not recieve his education. Now I ask you... Why had she not questioned her son about his inability to obtain an education? Could it be he nor she would understand the question!

Adirondackcountrygal said...

Yes these days you aren't allowed to hit your child for being rude. You may spank with a open hand but cannot leave a mark. My mother raised us well and we were rarely sassy to her. My kids are rude to me, but pretty polite to strangers.