Monday, February 2, 2009

February 02, 2009

Well, here it is; Feb. 02, 2009.

‘Groundhog Day’, and at least one groundhog says we will have 6 more weeks of winter this year.

Two other events happened on this day…Both important…both life altering….for me.

My daddy was born today back in 1908. He was the most wonderful daddy that this little girl from HORSESHOE BEND could have ever had. He hardly ever had any money to give us, but what we children lacked in money, he made up for in love.

            daddyandamanda

                  My daddy with Amanda.

Trust me, love is worth so much more than money…It is a priceless gift. A lot of kids now days don’t even know if they are loved

From the time we were born, to the time that he died in 1985 we knew to our bones that we were loved by this man. He died from emphysema. In the very end, 1 week before his death, he was diagnosed with lung cancer.

I thought my daddy walked on water…

You know; only one other man did I come to feel that way about…my Danny. They say a young girl first usually looks for a man to marry who is just like their daddy. Well, I found mine. He had ways just like daddy and the strange thing is…the older that he got, sometime near his death…

People mentioned that Danny began to even look like my daddy.

My daddy loved Danny just like a son…and Danny loved and respected him not only as a true father figure, but they were hunting and fishing buddies too. They were always there for each other…Whatever they needed , whatever they wanted, both of them knew they could count on one another. They could spend hours just talking, or playing checkers together.

                 dannymb

           Danny was buried Feb. 02, 2006

               On my daddy’s birthday.

I still grieve for both of them.

They were and still are

Two of the  most important men of my life.

I remember that as they lowered Danny’s casket into the ground,

I looked up and whispered…

"Here you go Daddy…I know you  already love this ‘birthday present’ you are getting…He will need you now…Please, be there for him, just one more time.”

I have no doubt

I know he was.

GOD BLESS YOU ALL

14 comments:

madcobug said...

When I first looked at the picture before I read who it was I thought he favored Danny's pictures. You have a lot of beautiful memories of both him and Danny. Lovya, Helen

Paula said...

This is a nice entry Carlene. You had a great experience of having two good men in your life.

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

How blessed you are to have had 2 very special men in your life. You have some wonderful memories to hold in your heart for sure. Not everyone does. 'On Ya'-ma

Kath said...

I also saw a resemblance in looks in Danny and your Daddy before I read the post as Helen has said in her comment.My Father was the same Carlene.He was born in 1906 and died in 1980 of Lung Cancer too.I believe caused from working down the coal mines from being a boy of 12yrs old.You had two of the best Carlene, but you deserved them too.Now you have been sent Simply The Best Little Wyatt.God is good and works in mysterious ways.What a beautiful picture and how handsome your Daddy and Danny were.Prayers for you all always .I hope your Mama is doing fine too.Take Care God Bless Kath xx

Lynne said...

That was beautiful what you mentioned at your husband's funeral. I have no doubt they are together. Blessings to you Carlene!

ggal2933 said...

Sending you many hugs and prayers!

Gretchen

lisa jo said...

i have no idea if EITHER of my parents truly love me so you are right.....it is ALL about love from parents and not money and other materialistic things. Three years already? Seems like yesterday though that i got off work and came home to an entry that Danny was gone. I sat stunned and SICK for you. I KNOW that man loved you with all his soul...he was your soulmate....and i believe he is still with you...and Amanda, Dan and Wyatt....wish i could hug you my sweet friend.

baldy said...

carlene,
OF COURSE OUR BEST FRIEND IS JESUS, AND NEAR ARE THOSE WHOM ARE WITH US DURING THEIR LIFETIME HERE ON EARTH.
CARLENE YOU ARE A GREAT FRIEND TO WE WHOM READ YOUR ENTRIES.
I GRIEVE FOR YOU WHEN HAVING FINANCIAL DIFFICULTIES AND KNOW IT MUST BE A WORRY TO YOU. I AM CERTAIN THAT IT IS YOUR FAITH IN GOD THAT KEEPS YOU OPTIMISTIC.
I HOPE SOMEDAY A GENEROUS PHILANTHROPIST WILL BECOME AWARE OF YOUR NEED FOR A HELPING HAND AND SPREAD A BEAM OF SUNSHINE YOUR WAY.
LOVE AND BEST WISHES TO YOU CARLENE. sam

Rose said...

I am so sad for you Charlene. You were truly blessed and these two men will live forever in your heart until you meet again in Heaven.

love you

FrankandMary said...

This was very touching, Carlene. But you know I am sort of soft on Dads :-). ~Mary

Gerry said...

I think that you have been blessed to have two men in your life you feel this way about. I trust your judgment, so I believe that they were both men with loving hearts. And you have surely been one to appreciate that.

Lisa said...

How wonderful and Blessed you have been to have two such wonderful men in your life. May they both rest in peace.
xxx

Joyce said...

I regret not being here for you on this day... you had two men in your life...that truly were blessings..., love to you, Joyce

Chris/cacklinrosie101 said...

That is weird, Carlene, because when I first saw the picture of your dad with Amanda I thought it was Danny. Also, so weird that Danny was buried on your daddy's birthday. I know your daddy was waiting for Danny u[ om Heaven on his birthday. You finally seem like you are reaching a certain point where you are finally happy. Praise the Lord for that...Love ya!