Sunday, January 25, 2009

ANOTHER SUNDAY

             DsDesignsBrrrMouse

                   graphic by D’s Designs

This morning I wanted to sleep late, but my pups had different plans…they were jumping up on the side of my bed by 7:00am…and every little tail was wagging ninety miles an hour!

That only means one thing…

So I got my butt up…

After giving them their morning walk about, I came back in, and by now wide awake, I washed my hands and put some pork chops and some Sonny’s BBQ sauce in the slow cooker. Then I peeled the ‘taters to cook and boiled some eggs and made some potato salad….and deviled eggs.

Afterwards I cleaned my 4 ceiling fans and replaced all the blown bulbs that have been bad for months! lol  Then I swept and mopped all the old wooden floors. By 11:00 am, my house was clean and my supper started. (All I would have to do is bake some can biscuits and open a can of pork and beans!)

Danny’s sister has finally gotten a computer!  Her feller bought it for her for Christmas! She is so excited. She, like me, when Danny gave me mine, did not even know how to turn it on. I am teaching her what little I know now and feel like a proud parent ‘cause she is learning so fast!!! (It took me nearly 6 months to be brave enough to even try to use my internet! lol)

Today, she wrote her first e-mail … to me !  She was thanking me for helping her learn this complicated machinery that folks of our generation are just now trying to get use to!

One year, when we were in the eighth grade or so, she and I each got a little manual typewriter  for Christmas, and we thought we were something….So, don’t you know we think we are something now! lol

Wyatt was running a fever Friday night and moaning, so he had to be taken to the doctor. He has ear infections again. That’s three in about three weeks. The doctor gave him another antibiotic shot and follow up antibiotics and then said he may have to have tubes placed in his ears. Amanda and Kelvin came over tonight, so I saw him again  and he was running a fever again. (I gave him some baby Tylenol and it went down.) He is still feeling bad… but he doesn’t cry very much, bless his little heart.

I am sitting here eating “Sugar Babies”… little caramel candies that I love. I  am happy that I can afford them! lol When we were little kids back on HORSESHOE BEND, we would ride to town with Daddy when he went to work on Saturdays , and run down to the old dime store and buy a “Sugar Daddy”… a candy sucker made out of caramel…

because;

a.) they were good,

b.) they were cheap and

c.) they would last a long, long time!

Back then children could run up and down Main Street here in our little town..and not worry about being hurt or kidnapped by evil folks…It was a time of innocence for all of us …kids and grownups alike….a glorious time of childhood that few kids today have or even remember.

I can remember playing jackstones on the back porch of the old grocery store my daddy worked at…Me, a little bitty girl…all alone….and nobody bothered  me…and I had no fear of anyone bothering me….because that was unheard of here.

On the contrary, folks passing by would go in the store and bring me back an ice cold  coca-colain the little green glass bottle.

Lord have mercy…..…It was summertime and those were the best tasting drinks on earth to me…They were the real Coca-Cola back then….back when the bottle top had to be popped off with a bottle opener, and the glass bottle had those little beads of water running down the sides of the frosted glass bottle because it was soooo cold! I don’t care what COKE, Pepsi, or any of the others claim, those drinks tasted a heck of a lot better back then…in the glass bottles…Everybody knows it….they’re not fooling anyone.

Oh me.…Here it is after 11:00pm….

Got to come back from the past, so I can get up from here and go to bed…

GOD BLESS YOU ALL.

12 comments:

lisa jo said...

did Jessie secretly fly down from Heaven and tell you to write this entry? i sit here with tears....because 90% of this entry reminds me of her. There was a Pepsi machine outside the little grocery across from her home and she'd give me 50 cents every Saturday. 25 cents for the Bubble Yum i LOVED so much and 25 cents for the bottled Pepsi. Then we'd sit on the porch as i ate the entire pack of gum in one day but i made that Pepsi last. WONDERFUL memories.
Meg had constant ear infections as a baby and when she was 4, she had her tonsils out and tubes put in and she has NEVER had another ear ache. I pray Wyatt feels better quick!
I want some of that delicious sounding food....yummy!
I am glad your SIL is online now!!
XOXO

Kath said...

Lovely post Carlene which I so enjoyed.The memories are similar to ours in England as regards the sweeties and the drinks." Happy Days" wern't they.Two of my babes had tubes put in there ears when babies,it's very common so don't worry..Poor Whyatt though nothing as painful as earache.Big Hug from me bless him.The tubes do a great job I have to say.Yes computers to us oldies LOL are very scary things when new to us.Clap-Clap on teaching your SIL well done.As for the playing out safely oh! how I wish our Grandchildren could the way we used to.Thanx for sharing the memories.Take Care God Bless Kath xx

Donna said...

Coke was a whole different formula back then, too. Oh yes, I used to buy Sugar Daddies sometimes for the same reason: They lasted a long time!

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

That memory of coke sure made me thirsty and it's freezing cold outside here. I can remember when everything came bottled. Even milk was in a bottle. Hope the little one is feeling better soon. 'On Ya'-ma

Myra said...

I can't even eat Sugar Babies anymore, too sweet! I remember penny candy, or 2 candies for a penny! You could get a whole little brown paper bag and fill it with candy for a dime. I was gonna say a quarter, but I rarely ever got a quarter...that was too much money! What a nice entry!

madcobug said...

Our grand-daughter had to have tubes put in her ears from the time she was an infant for several years. I haven't heard them mention it lately. She is 12 now. Yes, those Sugar daddies were delicious. We very seldom got candy. We had never heard of a stranger bothering anyone either. Yes, those cokes were so good. One reason was we very seldom got one of those either. Lovya, Helen

Gerry said...

Oh, that's a worry to have Wyatt having so many ear infections. I always worried about those as my two oldest boys inherited the tendency to severe ear ache from their father and got no relief until after they had their adenoids and tonsils out, and then no more. I was amazed how quick the pain stopped, but I only had 1 ear ache in my life. I know it causes anxiety every time a little one is sick, so I have to worry a little right along with you! Gerry

Lynne said...

Carlene, like everyone truly enjoyed your post of memories today. It was very sweet (no pun intended, lol). Blessings to you!

ADB said...

A lovely trip down memory lane for you, Carlene. I hope it will strengthen you for the anniversary in a few days' time

Anonymous said...

CARLENE, SAM IS TRYING TO COMMENT WITHOUT SUCCESS.
SEND ME AN E-MAIL SO I CAN REPLY TO IT. SAM

Celeste said...

Love sugar babies. Brook used to get the ear infections. We started elevating her bed a little at night and always make sure sitting up if drinking and they went away. Something to think about.... ear infections could be a sigh of milk sensitivity or to something else around(cats, dogs etc...)

Sandra said...

Carlene thanks for the name and authors of the books... I am always looking for new authors too. I like Debbie Macumber and Dorothea Benton Frank and Jennifer Donnely too....
Sandra