Wednesday, November 5, 2008

IT’S OVER

I had my surgery Monday. I was suppose to come home the same day, but I was not breathing right for them. Seems I would breathe once and then skip a breath. They asked me if I had sleep apnea….and no… I had not. I think it was all the meds had me really knocked out! lol

They kept me on oxygen and thank goodness they were giving me morphine through a pump that I controlled ,along with pain pills every three hours. I kept the pump button in my hand even while I slept….I would wake up in pain and and just stare at the little button until it would light up signaling it was time for a dose. Thank God that this hospital believed in giving you enough pain medicine.

 There was a lot of pain afterwards….a lot of pain.  Like a bad throbbing toothache deep in the bones.

 1105082324They took four x-rays of my arm after the surgery…and here ( all the dark part in my arm) you can see the metal plate, wires and screws that are holding my two arm bones to my wrist….they are a lot longer than I expected.Feels so heavy .

1105082252

My fingers are swollen so it is hard to do the finger exercises that I am suppose to do three times a day. My thumb especially refuses to move. I got to leave St.Mary’s Hospital Tuesday evening around 4:00pm and had to go from there to Regional Hospital to get the staples that were put in on the Sunday that I fell, out of the back of my head. I was so glad when I was finally able to get home….The pain pills are beginning to help a little better , but they also knock me out.

Wyatt has just about mastered holding his own bottle!!! He has also ‘found’ his feet and he is trying so hard to get a hold of them! lol You ought to see him! He kept me, Amanda and his uncle Dan laughing at his antics yesterday! Just look at this little booger!

1104081702a

1104081704a

He keeps lifting his little feet up! lol

1104081704b 1104081702

His Uncle Dan showed him the 2 liter bottle of orange drink and you should have seen his big blue eyes light up!!!! And by gosh he figured out how to use those little feet to get it up to his mouth without any help from us!!!!!lol

I was so happy to see him when I got home!

1102081917

Here he is with his Mommy!

Well, I am getting tired and need to lay down for a bit….Just wanted to let yall know I am still kicking…

Thank yall so much for your prayers….They mean the world to me.

GOD BLESS YOU ALL.

27 comments:

Cindy said...

I'm so sorry to read about your accident, how awful, but I am glad they gave you plenty of pain meds - some hospitals are not good about that. I'll pray for your quick recovery!
Cindy

Sandra said...

Im glad the surgery is over and the staples are out, now if the swelling would go down and the pain go away you would be in better shape wouldn't you.... I hope every day brings improvement...... your grandson is getting cuter every day isn't he
Sandra

dragondrops said...

so glad everything is going ok now x you take care of yourself

Donna said...

I'm so glad to hear from you, and glad it's over.

That baby is just what a grandma needs to make her want to recover.

LYN said...

HOPEFULL YOU WILL BE ON THE MEND NOW..CONTINUED PRAYERS FOR A SPEEDY RECOVERY...

Adirondackcountrygal said...

I'm glad you are feeling a little better! If you can't move your thumb, use your other hand to move it around. Wyatt sure is getting big!

Kathy said...

Carlene, I'm happy for you that the surgery is over, the pain is lessening and you have a wonderful grandson to make you laugh.

Continued prayers for a speedy recovery.

Karie said...

So glad you are home! I hope you are feeling well. You are in my prayers.
Your grandbaby is just adorable! I'm sure he makes you feel better!!

Joyce said...

Thank you for updating...praying for a speedy recovery...loved seeing little Wyatt...so cute.
Hugs and love...you rest and take care!
Joyce

Ora said...

glad it is all behind you...and the healing will come day to day...take care...enjoy that Wyatt...I know I do with each picture you post!! LOL...God Bless...Ora

Stuart said...

I hope they didn't make you into a magnet as well.

Seriously glad it went well!

lisa jo said...

Yes, thank goodness you have pain meds...some doctors dont like to give them out....SO glad you are not in pain and the surgery went well. I have been thinking about you and praying. LOVE YOU!
Wyatt is growing so fast!

Myra said...

You simply must do the best you can with the exercises they gave you...you may not be able to master them, but please, try, try, try!! Its time to focus on your healing...glad all went well. Looks like Wyatt is the best medicine for you!!

Rose said...

now you take good care of yourself and heal! xoxo

Emmi said...

Such a cute baby ... take care of yourself.

Astaryth said...

Ouch! That does look painful. Hopefully it will get better each day now. And, what a wonderful thing a grandbaby is to help keep your mind off of other things!

Sheila said...

May today find you in less pain and healing well. Thanks for letting us know how the surgery went. My prayers are with you, Sheila

Arlene (AJ) said...

So glad to hear you had the surgery and you're now home....know the pain isn't fun, but that will clear in time. Just take care of yourself, get well and strong soon. Your Wyatt is so adorable, know he brings great joy your way. Arlene(AJ)

madcobug said...

I am glad that you are back at home Carlene. I am still sending up prayers for you.I pray that your pain will soon ease up and you begin the healing process.
Wyatt looks so cute holding his bottle and using his feet to hold the drink bottle.
Hugs and love, Helen

Terri said...

So glad the surgery went well and you are back home....hope the swelling goes down soon...

Keeping you in my prayers...

Wyatt is an absolute dollbaby...so precious...love how he found his feet and used them to get the 2 liter up...haha too cute!

Hugs
Terri

Lisa said...

I am so glad the surgery is out of the way, now I hope you are on your way to a full recovery. I've been Praying for you sweetie.

I love seeing pictures of Wyatt, he is growing so fast. Maybe you don't notice the changes as much since you see him all the time but I can see big differences with each picture.
Love ya.

Paula said...

So glad you're home now. Take care of yourself. Been thinking about you and wondering if you are okay.

Gerry said...

So glad this quite serious sounding surgery is over. Those pins in your arm! Well, at least, they will hold the bones together, so actually one must be grateful for the surgeon's knowledge and skill. But how does your head feel now that the staples are out. When you fall, Carlene, you do it up good, but it could be worse. Love the photos of little Wyatt. He doesn't know you yet, that well, but I can just about guarantee you are a great grandma. Gerry

roberta said...

HI, I AM ROBERTA, FLOSSIEPUMPKIN TO MY FELLOW BLOGGERS. MY BLOG IS BERTS WORDS. I FOUND U THROUGH DRAGON DROPS. GRANDMA, U HAVE A BEAUTIFUL LITTLE GUY THERE. HOPE YOUR HAND FEELS BETTER REAL SOON. KEEP TAKING THOSE PEP PILLS!!ROBERTA

gulfcoastdee said...

Ouch! Praying for your speedy recovery.
Wyatt is so adorable!
Just dropping by to deliver some cyber hugs.

Dee

Linda :) said...

So glad you are home...
Wyatt, what a cutie! finding the feet, such a fun time!
Enjoy!

Barbara said...

God bless you and speed your healing! Wyatt is an absolute doll!