Thursday, November 27, 2008

37 YEARS AGO TODAY

                  family16

                        early seventies

Danny and I made an out of state trip to get married. Me being eleven months older; I was eighteen and ‘legal’  in our home state of Georgia, but Danny, being only seventeen, wasn’t. So we had to go all the way to Aiken, S.C. …where we were married in the courthouse there.

I think back now and I know that we were way too young to get married…but you couldn’t have told us that back then….Oh no….Our love was stronger than the both of us…and even back then, I swear to you,  I always  had the feeling that we must hurry….

We must hurry and start our lives together.

Danny must have felt the same way, because he went against his parent’s wishes to marry me. Oh, I fully understand their reasoning now…

They wanted him to be older…for us to be more prepared financially. Now that I am older, if I had a son of seventeen wanting too get married, I would have heart failure…So yeah…I know now where they were coming from…But you know what?…Neither of us would even pretend to listen to them back then…

So, we fought tooth and nail to get our way…and we did.

We didn’t even have a car. My ( then) brother-in-law took us to get married. My mama and daddy and my two sisters went with us. My parents never went anywhere far from home, so for them to actually go with us, proved how much Mama and daddy loved Danny…and they were determined for him to be their son-in-law! In all the years we were married they never found fault with him…and came to love him as a son.

I remember that Danny had on a black coat, white shirt, tie and black dress pants. I had on a paisley skirt outfit with penny loafers. Danny was so nervous that he had to repeat one of the vows…and almost dropped the ring as we stood in front of that lady judge. I regret so much that no one took pictures…I have nothing left to look back on… only my memories of that day.

I won’t sit here and say that we had a perfect marriage..far from it. We had our ups and downs and problems just like any other young couple…and gosh; we were poor as church mice……

But we did have an abundance of love. No matter what; I knew that Danny Noggle loved me. I knew that he was there to protect, to love, and to hold me up when needed….and he knew the same of me.

We were not only husband and wife…..

We were best friends…..

They say that before you die;  that you see your life flash before your eyes…

I see my life every time I think of Danny….

I see him and I as little children….I see him flying down the sidewalk on his bike aiming right at me….I see him hitting that baseball that knocked me out on the school yard and waking up to see him staring me in the face as he tells the teacher, “she ought not to have walked in front of the ball!” ( I was on the other end of the school yard…Danny could have been a major league player the way he could hit those balls.)

During our years together as man and wife; I see all the days and nights, the weekends, the vacations, the birthdays, the times we cried in each other’s arms, the times we rejoiced at our children’s births, I see us making our very own family traditions…The holidays…

All these things…

All these years

Flash before my eyes….

Every time I think of him.

I think of him everyday…

I have found that….

It wasn’t “til death do we part”

For I haven’t parted from him…..

I still love you Danny Noggle…

I always will.

HAPPY THANKSGIVING MY FRIENDS.

GOD BLESS YOU ALL.

23 comments:

Janis said...

What a beautiful story! Thank you for sharing.

Janis

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

Happy Memories for a Thanksgiving Day. You have every reason to be thankful you had such a wonderful husband. 16 years ago today my DDH died and I feel the same. We weren't perfect but we had lots and lots of love and many happy times. 'On Ya'-ma

Barbara said...

I swear you can see it in the photo!! The way the two of you look and look at each other. You can see the promise of the kind of relationship you would have.

I pray the memories today brought you nothing but warth, comfort and bliss.

Paula said...

Yes you can see the love in both your eyes. You do look so young but I'm sure you would do it all over again.

Gerry said...

That photo says a lot about two people in love and that is a gift to treasure in this world where many relationships don't work for long. One that worked so well for as long as yours did was an accomplishment on both your parts. Gerry

Donna said...

Wonderful, heart-felt entry. I love this. Thanks!

You guys really were just kids.

Arlene (AJ) said...

Carlene, you two may have been young, but you were meant to be together. Such a touching story of your life with Danny. Hope the memories bring you comfort to your heart dear. You were indeed blessed to have shared your life with Danny as he was you.

Joyce said...

I love the photo of you and Danny...it says love all around it. I am also happy you both went against the wishes of others...no one has a better love story than the one of you and Danny. No marriage is perfect...ours sounds like yours...but we do have one thing in common...love of one anther and friendship too. Beautiful entry Carlene!!
Hugs and love you...

Joyce

madcobug said...

That is a great picture Carlene. You have some wonderful memories to look back on. Hugs and love, Helen

Terri said...

Love the pic...love the entry...so sweet!!!

Hugs
Terri

Lynne said...

Carlene,

What a wonderful love story, and what makes it all the nicer is that it is real life. You are a very blessed woman to have such a wonderful husband in Danny filled with love and friendship.

God Bless!

Rose said...

lovely my friend. bless you

ADB said...

Hope you had a happy Thanksgiving, Carlene - you do have much to be thankful for.

ggal2933 said...

Beautiful Carlene... my thoughts and prayers are with you as always!

Love ya,
Gretchen

D said...

love this entry... beautiful. Picture is wonderful too. Happy Thanksgiving
hugs

JShav123 said...

Beautiful post, Carlene. You are right, you will never part from Danny...this is only a temporary separation....you two WILL be together again..until then, I hope your beautiful memories give you peace and comfort.

Lippy said...

I don't think we ever realize how all the small moments we live will eventually add up to become a great story. I guess that's a good thing because then we'd be tempted to try and mess with the script a little.

yours was a beautiful story to read this morning

Amanda said...

(((((((((((((((((((HUGSTOYOU)))))))))))Lovly memories that will last a life time.I love the pic of you two.

Chris/cacklinrosie101 said...

Carlene, you both may have been very young but it's obvious from the picture just how much in love you both were. Some things are just meant to be. You were both blessed to have had each other. Love ya!

CINDY said...

Your Danny was a special man. A photo can fade but the love and memories you have of Danny will never fade. ((((((hugs))))
Love ya,
Cindy xoxoo

Celeste said...

Age does not always mean a success you were proof of taht.

tinkerbell said...

you had a truly blessed married life, so much love to look back on such very sweet memories

gabby68 said...

I was married in Aiken S.C. too. I can still remember walking up that iron staircase and meeting an older in the stairwell who looked at us and said I know what you are going to do - your going to get married here. And I probably giggled!